Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: canada geese

canada geese

just after some of the collected wisdom. i have been asked to look at solutions for control of canada geese on a school playing field. the school borderes some marsh area and the geese are that numerous that the grass is unusable for the children to play on due to the droppings.
    do you have any suggestions as to what could be done. deterants scarers barriers culling etc.

any suggestions gratefully received

pete

I remember reading that in 'sensitive' locations where shooting may be inappropriate, the accepted wisdom is to wait until they are unable to fly due to the moult, then herd them into a system of net corridors and live catch prior to transport for despatch elsewhere.

For a more indirect approach to limiting numbers see attached http://www.countrysidemanagement.org...anger%2080.pdf
    Last edited by unlacedgecko; 20-05-2013 at 22:25.

If you can find a couple of wilfowlers with some hefty punt guns youll be suprised how much clearing up of your own youll have to do..
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

interesting i will look into that thanks.

punt guns would need to returf the field i think

Take them with a rim fire & subs head shooting them. Also large gill nets set high around the field will help but you may catch other birds
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

Quote Originally Posted by unlacedgecko View Post
    the accepted wisdom is to wait until they are unable to fly due to the moult,
    The trouble with that is they will not be there when they can't fly.
    I have the same problem on the lakes, total pain to anglers and all the bank the geese use is filthy.
    But even on the lakes they never appear to moult, I just use whatever rifle I have with me, after a while they stop visiting.
    The worst of it is they are inedible as they are feeding in the main on carp anglers bait, Tutti Fruity roast goose anybody ?

Neil.

Rim fire & subsonic ammunition at weekend when the kids are not in school. If as many schools the area is fenced off have a chat with the caretaker he / she could lock the gates behind you so no interruptions

I would not be happy using the rimfire, use small calibre centrefire with v max, & shoot through the side or front.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    I would not be happy using the rimfire, use small calibre centrefire with v max, & shoot through the side or front.
    x2 on that buddy

Ok thanks. Where do I stand on the use of lead as I know you can't use lead shot for wildfowling.