Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dsc1/dsc2

Dsc1/dsc2

Are the qualifications acquired by doing these courses necessary for all aspects of Deer Stalking.

Dont get me wrong! this is just a query. As I have stated in previous posts I live in NZ but will be returning to the UK later this year.
    If at some point I was to go for my fire arms License it would be purely to put meat on my table.
    Just the odd deer that I would have gained permission from a land owner to kill.
    I have no plans to set up a guiding company nor would I expect to Cull large numbers of animals.

Your thoughts on this matter would be great.
    And yes I am aware I am leaving myself open to some ridicule. I have broad shoulders!

​Kevin

http://www.dmq.org.uk/faq.htm#faqgen If this is not clear, contact Mandy Short with your specific question. Regards JCS

Quote Originally Posted by yorky07 View Post
    Are the qualifications acquired by doing these courses necessary for all aspects of Deer Stalking.
    Not at present but that's the way it's heading... Dsc1 is regarded as the basic foundation of knowledge required to take deer, some police forces are insisting on it before authorising deer legal firearms, others impose a mentor condition until the qualification has been gained. All are acting out of their remit but as long as they remain unchallenged they will continue.
    The Forestry Commision already insist that all leaseholders have Dsc2 and that all syndicate members have Dsc1. Their are also other qualifications to consider like first aid and quad training. It is definately becoming more and more difficult to get into stalking.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Thank you. JCS for a fast and complete response.

​Kevin.

Cheers Si. Mmmm Food for thought me thinks. I think that is Totally opposite to the info from the link JCS showed.

​Kevin.

Quote Originally Posted by yorky07 View Post
    Cheers Si. Mmmm Food for thought me thinks. I think that is Totally opposite to the info from the link JCS showed.

​Kevin.
    Welcome to the world of firearms ownership Kevin.... you'll find quite a lot of conflicting information and different interpretations of guidlines and legislation.
    It takes a while but you will get used to it
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Not in Law, but certainly in practice:
    First of all most Police forced are now unlikely to grant you a deer-legal caliber if you haven't got the DSC1. Local Police Authorities can effectively make up their own set of rules which are added to your FAC 'Conditions' - there are quite large differences between regional Forces' interpretation.
    Secondly by having the DSC1, or even better the DSC2, landowners are more likely to be inclined to talk to you about allowing deer stalking on their land.
    In fact many of the larger landowners now insist in the DSC2 as a minimum.
    Agree with the training and qualification or not, one has to be pragmatic.

Yorky
    Have you firearms out in NZ? If so and they are legal in the uk contact the Licencing dept of the force you will be moving to informing them of your intended move and that you have permission at ..........land and see what info they give don't mention level 1&2 for fear of stitching yourself up.

In law at this time there is no need for the DSC1 or 2. To get a rifle license I would argue that the police are breaking the law as there is nothing written that says you must hold a DSC 1 cert. That is another arguement and I feel sorry for anyone that has to go through this.

You should be a trained hunter (DSC 1) to put food into the foodchain so that you can recognise if there is anything wrong with the carcass; and you must sign a declaration when putting the carcass into the foodchain. This is done on the tag. You can also become a trained hunter without having DSC1, there are other ways to do this.

At this time and for the last 15 + years the position in the uk has been to promote proper certification to show an ability on safety and deer knowledge. Hence the present system of DSC1 and 2. There are also other certifications out there, just rarely talked about. The DSC 1 is needed by many land managers and increasingly these same people are requesting DSC2. I feel that this has been on the back of the FE who require that leaseholders or contractors will have at least the DSC2.

Going forward into 2014 there is a huge possibility due to Bill changes in Scotland that all stalkers will have to have some kind of certification which will most likely be DSC1. Alarm bells were ringing last year when SNH stated that things could change in 2014, it was a delicate statement; but to me it was a warning that a vast change is imminent.

Well It seems to me that if intended we only stay for 2 years, then it would be pointless to try for a FAC for putting Venison on my table, with every thing I would have to do to attain one.
    I will simply keep my guns in New Zealand, and save my pennies, and hopefully I will be able to return to NZ in late March and head for the Bush for a Roaring Stag.
    However how does that go as for small game.( Vermin ) Rabbits, Hares, If the largest Calibre I wanted was .22lr do the same rules apply????

​Kevin.

I Honestly would not like to think of paying for or doing without Venison for 2 yrs.
    Do you think there are many kind souls who would offer some of their excess of Venison. I wouldn't need much.
    A back strap or two, or maybe 1 or 2 of the muscle groups from a back leg.

Kevin
    Last edited by yorky07; 22-05-2013 at 00:15.