Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boar in Turkey

Boar in Turkey

I'm led to believe that because Turkey is a predominantly Muslim country and they don't hunt boar for food, they are left to grow up to 400kg then shot by paying clients.
    We have some friends who own a property in Akbuk which is surrounded by National Park forest. We are going there for a short break next week and I'd be interested to know if there is any shooting available while I'm there...???

I'll be making some enquiries when we arrive but does anyone know if Akbuk and surrounding area is popular for wild boar shooting?
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

When I used to holiday with the family we went to the Fethiye area of Turkey every October holidays for 10 years. My dad was hugely keen on shooting one of these things and after making a few enquiries with locals found himself on several boar hunts. Most of them were happy to take him out for next to nothing and a couple of beers. They do hunt them over there quite actively but not so much keen on eating them. Make a hell of a mess of crops out there. Was always done with shotguns and cartridges ranging from slugs to '9 - balls'. Quite a few chukar out there also. Terrain is horrible though, mostly nasty jabby scrubb and rocks. Did everything from chasing them in the back of a truck to having them driven with dogs to waiting for them in the moonlight. Was never really successful though unfortunately.

When we were old enough to go with him we did a few moonlit waits beside some pommegranite trees and the like but only heard them. Really makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck! Bugs are bigger out there too (including some small white scorpion things I don't want to see again!) I finally managed to get one the 2nd last year we were there and took it back to our hotel. Was on the menu the next night.

Best bet is to start speaking to local bar, restaurant, hotel and convenience shop staff. A lot of their families come from farming or rural backgrounds or know plenty of friends from those farms. Thats how we started making connections. Should manage to find someone if you are polite and not too forceful.

Really family oriented out there from my experience. We secured our invites just by bringing small gifts like bags of sweets for the kids of the family and providing the 'refreshments' at the end of the day. Local beer is cheap as chips and for the effort we were shown was well worth it.

Anyway hope that was of some help. Definitely wasn't a properly organised thing that we did but was exciting and super cheap which is the main thing. Hope you find something.

Thanks Chris, it sounds hopeful
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

I was there for a week in May and made a few enquiries about boar hunting, I was introduced to a chap who controls boar for local farmers and he has offered to take me out next time I'm there.... which is next week, so I'm quite looking forward to that.
    Hopefully I'll be back with a story to tell and some photo's of me posing with a 300kg pig

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    I was there for a week in May and made a few enquiries about boar hunting, I was introduced to a chap who controls boar for local farmers and he has offered to take me out next time I'm there.... which is next week, so I'm quite looking forward to that.
    Hopefully I'll be back with a story to tell and some photo's of me posing with a 300kg pig
    The best of luck I hope you have success.
    Glendine.

A good friend of mine was there a couple of years ago and shot a good few huge boar.

Didn't sound entirely satisfactory though - all the shooting was at night under a moon which sometimes was obscured by cloud. Of course as we all know boar are big tough animals so there was a few wounded and not found - these were not followed up and of course there were no dogs.

Big boar though - I forget the largest one he shot but it was huge - they are only shot to protect crops so there are huge areas with no control at all.

This was in Antalya - south coast. Having flown over Turkey a few times I think the north cost area, near the Black Sea, might be better - very green and heavily wooded. No idea how you do that though.

good luck with the boar, hope a big one comes your way

how did you get on
    Humans are pre wired with fight or flight response
    Great Grandad fought, Grandad fought.
    For the sake of my Grandchild I wish for Less Flight responses entering Europe

I was at Fethiye Turkey and I stayed there for a total of 3 nights and I shot 7 tuskers in total . If anybody is interested I can post pictures later on....

The good thing about Fethiye , you swim the whole day and hunt in the nights

There are also very good driven hunts all around Turkey . The Wild Boar hunting season for driven hunts have started . We wait for the first rain and the weather to cool down abit and then the driven hunts will actually start.
    Last edited by doublecheese; 29-08-2013 at 11:54.

If they do not eat them then I presume they are just left to rot ?

I have a Turkish friend that has eaten them but won't any longer (I think he has become more religious as he has stopped drinking too, mostly!), but he says lot of people eat it in the rural villages.