Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&b or leupold vx111

S&b or leupold vx111

Hi all I'm after a new stalking scope on my tikka. Maybe used for some target but mainly stalking.

Looking at s&b 8x56 or a leupold vx111 4.5-14x50

what you guys think will be best I know they are both good scopes

​but what's best

S&B all the way. Have tried S&B, Swarovski, Leupold and I am currently using a Zeiss and have to say the S&B would be my choice from those 2 but if you can look through both see what suits you. I personally can not get on with Swarovski tried 2 and both times found target acquisition difficult. I think it's a personal thing as with most things its what suits you and makes you comfortable and confident.

I think Lordy is right - there is a big premium on what you're comfortable with. That said, I've used both. I'd use Leupolds for a very long time but found that I was getting frustrated with the light reticules. I also think that in marginal light that the S&B is the better option (Mk1 eyeball testing only) especially with the heavier reticules.

Hope that helps

FN

I use an S&B 8X56 and find it ideal for all my general stalking use. I shoot a lot at last light in heavy forestry.

Last person with a Leupold who looked through my S&B tried to buy it off me.

I bought the S&B 2nd hand and think they are about the best value 2nd hand scope. I paid 250 for it and could probably sell it today for more than that. So, if you go with a 2nd hand S&B you will know you have top notch glass that is ideally suited for all stalking tasks and not only that but the total cost of ownership will be zero, or you might even make money on it. With a deal like that there is no reason to buy anything but the best.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Reticles is a good point some of the Fine none illuminated reticles are difficult to see at last light also 1st and 2nd focal plane on variables, but as before try before you buy. That said I always try before I buy and I've chopped and changed through the years.

s&b defo

another vote for s&b, had 8x56 and it was a great scope, just needed more mag but ultimately couldnt afford a varible s&b so got a 6.5x20x50 vx111 ( a bit too much mag but got it for good price) and in isolation a very nice scope, it had the varmint ret and as mentioned is quite fine but perfect for what it was on but beig honest not in s&b class , both now sold and to me ive bought the perfect compromise a 4,5-14x44 zeiss conquest
    craig

Used my swaro 8x50 on the range out to 300 yards on sunday and the ret is too thick really if you are thinking fixed mag and stalking rets.

S&B would b the better stalking scope of the 2 your saying and you won't get a better light gatherer than the 8x56 but if your going to use it for target the ret on s&b isn't ideal with the 8 mag and thick cross hairs once u get out 2 200 yard the cross hairs cover a lot of the target

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboab29 View Post
    S&B would b the better stalking scope of the 2 your saying and you won't get a better light gatherer than the 8x56 but if your going to use it for target the ret on s&b isn't ideal with the 8 mag and thick cross hairs once u get out 2 200 yard the cross hairs cover a lot of the target
    I would absolutely agree with this. The 8x56 S&B is a terrific scope for Deer and Fox but for longer range work on targets or smaller varmints you will struggle as the crosshairs cover most of the target and then some...

I've had both 8x56 and 3-12x50 S&B's and they are great scopes with fabulous optics but I've now sold them both to go for scopes with a finer reticle for long range use.

I've had a Leupold in the past and wasn't that impressed. Personally I would stick with S&B, Zeiss or Swaro - although check the eyepiece of any Swaro you look at, some are horrendously loose & wobbly - it wont affect accuracy, but its crap all the same on an expensive scope and despite being 6 months old they wouldnt repair it under warranty - so much for the supposedly excellent Swaro customer service.

As someone above said, buy an good S&B at sensible money and you will always sell it for what you paid.