Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .243 All Rounder

.243 All Rounder

I am currently applying for my FAC for a stalking rifle.

I have put down for a .243 and am just about to send it off but am now having second thought re the calibre!

I will mainly be stalking Roe with a bit of fallow now and then. I also have the opportunity for the occasional red hind.

My question is if I wanted to occasionally buy a day on stags would an estate let me with a .243?

A lot of my stalking will be in Scotland, obviously needing 100 grain on all but Roe. Am I right in saying a .243 is at its limit with 100 grains?

So basically if you had to go for a bit of an all round rifle for all deer species would it be a .243 or would I be better going for something along the lines of 6.5 swedish or a 25-06? Foxes will not be on my quarry list.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    hello sir.

i have been running a 243 for a few years and found it fine on all i have pointed it at, (shot placement experience and range are all important.

i have use it on fallow be that just a few, lots of roe and more on munty, the odd fox (about 70) and it performed well enough for me, i have used it on a few estates with no issues from them or their keepers.

but stand by for all the other comments that its not man enough (more like my willies bigger than yours) after all its the most used deer calibre in the UK me thinks,

enjoy all the piffle to follow,

but after all that your the man who has to pull the trigger so its really down to you,

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

geco do a 105gr cheap but shoots well in a 1x10 twist well under £100 a hundred it will do all you need it to do. i use 58vmax for fox and 100's for med up to fallow size deer always done it for me.
    i also own a .308 as i use it for boar loaded down say a 130 hp or tsx will smash mr red up good
    or just stay with bt's at 150 grain or sp's dead is dead no such thing as overkill !
    atb
    paul
    Last edited by paul o'; 21-05-2013 at 20:01.

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    hello sir.

i have been running a 243 for a few years and found it fine on all i have pointed it at, (shot placement experience and range are all important.

i have use it on fallow be that just a few, lots of roe and more on munty, the odd fox (about 70) and it performed well enough for me, i have used it on a few estates with no issues from them or their keepers.

but stand by for all the other comments that its not man enough (more like my willies bigger than yours) after all its the most used deer calibre in the UK me thinks,

enjoy all the piffle to follow,

but after all that your the man who has to pull the trigger so its really down to you,

bob.
    Thanks for that. I am 99% certain on .243 and have no doubt about it on roe or fallow as I have shot / seen shot a fair number with a .243. What I don't want is to book a day on the red stags and be told no .243's allowed etc.

PIFFLE ALERT:PIFFLE ALERT:PIFFLE ALERT

6.5x55 with 140gr ammo will drop all UK deer (and boar if you're so inclined...).

As the other boys say though, .243 and .308 will do the job, but why go with the herd?
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means youíve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Great question ,
    I am just thinking about a 6.5x55 over the 243 I would be shooting similar deer to yourself.
    i have shot red hinds in the past with 243 and it worked well,
    I just read to much about calibers,bullet types and rifles and then you start thinking...
    interesting to see the views on the forum.
    Tikka595

Just get a .270 legal & capable For all deer & min advisable for boar, there's a reason it's popular on the hill.(I do know of places that won't allow .243)
    and before anyone starts I have .243,.308,.270,&.375 so I have no axe to grind .243 is a great fox round,
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    but stand by for (more like my willies bigger than yours)
    bob.
    Well it is

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    PIFFLE ALERT:PIFFLE ALERT:PIFFLE ALERT

6.5x55 with 140gr ammo will drop all UK deer (and boar if you're so inclined...).

As the other boys say though, .243 and .308 will do the job, but why go with the herd?
    The advantage of the .243 and .308 is they are readily available anywhere, and they are popular for a good reason.

Any deer legal centre fire rifle will do as long as it is used within its limits.

I love my .243 but for shots on fallow over 150 yards I'd sooner have something bigger... but over 150 yard shots arent at all common for me so the .243 is ample!!! It's the best Roe round there is IMO.

Some scot estates don't allow 243 (!) so for ease Something like a .270, 25-06, 6.5swede, or 308 might be better.

will you definitely go to Scotland? I convinced myself 2 years ago that I needed something bigger for boar and reds... still haven't been out after either!

If you get a 243 you won't regret it - low recoil, cheap ammo, flat shooting, relatively quiet when moderated, and knocks down roe a treat! A mentor and good friend of mine uses 80gn .243 on lots of fallow with no complaints at all.

243 is good enough for what you want. For years it was the only rifle I had. Still have the same rifle and have taken foxes at 200 yards, on one perticular occasion a red hind at over 300, Red stags,Fallow,Roe I love it. My son who is a semi pro stalker has had nothing but a 243 he has shot hundreds of deer from Big red stags in Devon to hinds on the hill in Scotland.

Tusker