Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolt gun

Bolt gun

Hello, one of the farmers I shoot for has asked me if I know anything about bolt guns, at the moment he uses his side by side for shooting his damaged stock so to speak, he seems to think a bolt gun will kill the animal out right? I was under the impression you has to bleed the animal or destroy the brain stem by pithing. I looked online and I can't seem to find a bolt gun that claims to kill the animal, I have seen the pistol type used in a slaughter house but the animals were bled after. Any help on this would be great. Thanks

They are only capable of stunning the animal. You are quite correct that you need to bleed or pith the animal. That said smaller animals are almost certainly killed outright.

If you are wanting to do larger animals like cattle then I suggest one that takes a .38/9mm blank. I have used the .22 blank variants and they are underpowered for cattle in my opinion.

This is the one I have - lives under the seat of my car.

Captive-Bolt Stunners - Providers of Captive-Bolt Stunners

(Carlton Moor Range on here)

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

the above it the one he/we are looking at. better tell him to get a pithing rod, is there any advantage to pithing over bleeding the animal. thanks

I prefer pithing as there is less blood about. That is for dispatch - if going into the food chain they need bleeding.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    I prefer pithing as there is less blood about. That is for dispatch - if going into the food chain they need bleeding.
    This wil only be dispatch, broken legs etc, do you use the stainless rod or the nylon ? Any advantages to either? I am thinking the stainless loudly be better. Thanks

I only use disposable rods. I don't want a rod with blood and brain matter to clean.

You can get proper ones:

Pithing Rods Home

But I went through a stage of using wooden support stakes from a garden centre.

40 X 60cm GREEN SPLIT CANES GARDEN PLANT SUPPORTS. ALLOTMENT PLANTS, VEGETABLES | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
    the above it the one he/we are looking at. better tell him to get a pithing rod, is there any advantage to pithing over bleeding the animal. thanks
    Always use the pithing rod first, this helps stop the animal reacting to the knife ( kicking out or jumping )
    Your a long time dead..GET OUT THERE.

A personal observation here. having used both, a captive bolt is fine in the abbatoir but I find a 28 bore can be a lot safer if you are dealing with an injured beast. You have to get up close and personal with a captive bolt pistol and in the field this can be a bit too exciting at times!

I'd say stick with the shotgun.
    I use a .410 for everything from small lambs up to big cattle.

Also, the knackermen who come round always use a shotgun, despite the fact that they carry a bolt pistol in the truck. Must be a good reason why they prefer one to the other.

I thought pithing went out years ago!?