Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: illum scopes

  1. #1

    illum scopes

    illuminated scopes, and variable large objective ones with illum,,are they really worth £1K+???

    just curious, I'm an S&B lover down and out, especially the fixed variety like my 6x42. I was out the other night. sunset 21:24, and I could easily have taken a buck at 22:30 if legal at 100yds or so. just curious how big objective bells and illumination improves my chances when I can already take shots clearly at the point where it becomes illegal to shoot?

    same with my zeiss 4x32, come 1hr after sunset, bummer, do I really have to go, there's plenty of light still
    Last edited by PKL; 23-05-2013 at 13:26.

  2. #2
    Hi mate, also have a S&B 6x42 and find it perfect in low light.

    Having said this when I'm at Bisley shooting 300/600m, or long range foxing, I do think a high mag and illuminated reticle would be nice... I briefly had such a scope (duralyt) but couldn't justify keeping it for the few times a year it "would be nice"!

    If £1500 wasnt a lot to me then I'd have a S&B top of the range jobbie, but it is! Also the 6x42 is lightweight,robust, and does everything u need it to 99% of the time

  3. #3
    the 6x42 is lightweight,robust, and does everything u need it to 99% of the time [/QUOTE]I agree

  4. #4
    I was out lamping a few weeks ago when a pair of eyes lit up in the lamp at 250+ yds. Put the .243 on a wall, viewed on 8x mag through my Swarovski Z6i and could clearly see the fox coming towards us. As I chambered a round my mate was asking repeatedly are you sure it's a fox?
    I couldn't believe he could not see it as to me it was as clear a day time. 230 yds a little squeeze of the trigger and I replied - no it's a dead fox.
    Ok it took me 3 years to pay for it but I think it's worth every penny
    Wingy

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    I was out lamping a few weeks ago when a pair of eyes lit up in the lamp at 250+ yds. Put the .243 on a wall, viewed on 8x mag through my Swarovski Z6i and could clearly see the fox coming towards us. As I chambered a round my mate was asking repeatedly are you sure it's a fox?
    I couldn't believe he could not see it as to me it was as clear a day time. 230 yds a little squeeze of the trigger and I replied - no it's a dead fox.
    Ok it took me 3 years to pay for it but I think it's worth every penny
    Wingy
    +1...

    Great bit of kit - especially since I emailed Swarovski customer service to moan about the illum getting knocked on and they sent me the little plastic fix-it...
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    +1... Great bit of kit - especially since I emailed Swarovski customer service to moan about the illum getting knocked on and they sent me the little plastic fix-it...
    Swarvoski sent you on what?

  7. #7
    They have produced a plastic cover that slips on the back end of the Mk1 scope, covering the illumination on/off switch. I sent them an email as they've fixed this on the Mk2, and they sent this thing immediately

    info-uk@swarovskioptik.co.uk

    I'll see if I can dig out the thread that covered this

    Found it:
    Z6i 1st generation - illumination cut off?
    Last edited by I. Farticus; 23-05-2013 at 14:35. Reason: Added intel
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    +1...

    Great bit of kit - especially since I emailed Swarovski customer service to moan about the illum getting knocked on and they sent me the little plastic fix-it...
    I've had the scope now for 5 years it was first on my .308 and now my .243 never had any issues or reason to contact Swarovski with any complaint but believe their customer service is 2nd to none.
    I was always told - buy the best scope you can't really afford and then use the change to buy the rifle, if you can't see it in the first place you can't shoot at it!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    They have produced a plastic cover that slips on the back end of the Mk1 scope, covering the illumination on/off switch. I sent them an email as they've fixed this on the Mk2, and they sent this thing immediatelyinfo-uk@swarovskioptik.co.ukI'll see if I can dig out the thread that covered thisFound it:Z6i 1st generation - illumination cut off?
    Thanks Very much, Much appreciated,Glendine.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    I've had the scope now for 5 years it was first on my .308 and now my .243 never had any issues or reason to contact Swarovski with any complaint but believe their customer service is 2nd to none.
    I was always told - buy the best scope you can't really afford and then use the change to buy the rifle, if you can't see it in the first place you can't shoot at it!
    LOL! Add 50% to what you think your budget is for glass!!

    I swear by Swaro - just upgraded my EL to EL-R and they are stonking. Add up rifle and glass, and rifle is only 22% of the total... Oooops
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Similar Threads

  1. *SOLD* Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x50mm LR Illum. Reticle
    By Treedave in forum Optics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-02-2012, 18:34
  2. *SOLD* S&B 8X56 Illum
    By norseman in forum Optics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-01-2012, 21:45
  3. Replacement CR2354 battery for Meopta Illum scope
    By Cyres in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-08-2011, 16:53
  4. For Sale Hawke Nite-Eye 3.5 - 10 x 50 illum red dot
    By private fraser in forum Optics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-06-2010, 12:40

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •