Thread: Unusual doe

Unusual doe

Shot this roe doe last Febuary and have finally got round to cleaning off the skull. The boney growths were just normal skin and hair with no evidence of a pedicule, but interesting all the same.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	28608

Hi Martin
    Although I've never seen one (more than just tiny bumps) I think they are more common than people think. Have you read Frank Holmes' book Following the Roe? As he was a surgeon it has quite a lot of interesting stuff about abnormalities, I can lend you it if not.
    How's it going with the bucks?
    Nick Jackson

This is getting more and more common I tend to find them on game shooting ground where they have been hitting the feeders in the winter. Which gives them a protien boost when food should be scarce. Causing them to grow little knobs.

Andy
    Hunting isn't just something I do it's part of who I am

Where Martin shot that doe would, I think be one of his patches that indeed has a game shoot. I wonder if the protein boost could cause an hormonal imbalance?

Haven't read that one Nick wouldnt mind borrowing it please.

Yes it was shot right in the middle of the shoot and in the main wood and was in very good condition.

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]This was a doe shot at the start of the buck season mistaken for a yearling buck, not by me i might add, i got it from the stalker and cleaned it off, both antlers were in velvet not sure if they would have cleaned off or not.
    I can't remember where i heard it or read it, that a possible cause is by the doe giving birth to consecutive buck kids and retaining testosterone, don't know whether there is any truth in this or not hopefully somebody on here may know, i also thought that it had a lot to do with age, but this doe doesn't seem to be very old, her front teeth were quite worn but here molars weren't, a rough guess would say between 4 and 6 years old.
    Have saw quite a few instances of roe does having antlers but can't think of seeing any records of any the other female deer species with antlers, would love to see pictures if anybody has anything.

​Moose

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Have saw quite a few instances of roe does having antlers but can't think of seeing any records of any the other female deer species with antlers, would love to see pictures if anybody has anything.
    ​Moose

Check out page 3 of this thread - there is a very interesting photo of an antlered muntjac doe that was posted by another Site member (Blue400).

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...A-Thread/page3

willie_gunn

P.S. I have posted other photos of an antlered roe doe I shot before, and I have another in the freezer awaiting preparation that was shot by a French client. Neither of those have antlers like on the doe you've posted, though, so thanks for putting up the pics.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks willie_gunn, remember now seeing the munty doe with antlers, can't think of ever seeing anything about the larger species, for the amount of red hinds shot in Scotland you would thinl something would show up.

Moose

I'll drop it in or pop it in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by tomlinson View Post
    Haven't read that one Nick wouldnt mind borrowing it please.