Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Venison in the UK

Venison in the UK

Is venison available at most local grocery stores and supermarkets in the UK?

If so can one make a career deer stalking and providing venison to grocers?

For most stalkers it's not quite as simple as providing venison to grocers, a game dealer must take the venison from the stalker first. The game dealer usually pays about 1 per lb to the stalker (last time I checked) it's then sold on to the "grocer" who offers it to the consumer for between 5 per lb and 18 per lb. (ASDA venison steaks 16.67 per KG)
    Venison is not at all popular with the British public. I am told that most of what we shoot here goes abroad.
    So the answer to your question: No, not really viable

Thank you

Venison is popular and enjoyed in the American South but not available at the retail level. It's given as a gift amongst neighbors and friends.

Most of what I shoot is gifted away but some people take money from their friends and relatives and do quite well out of it, supplementing their income, but there can be very few men in the UK whose sole income comes from venison sales.

Yes you can make a living out of stalking and selling deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo8 View Post
    Most of what I shoot is gifted away but some people take money from their friends and relatives and do quite well out of it, supplementing their income, but there can be very few men in the UK whose sole income comes from venison sales.
    One of the best rewards of the hunt is giving the meat to friends, family and folks in need.

I had great enjoyment from a load of Venison / Game pies I took to work, Mrs Finnbear had a clear out from the big freezer, & a weekend's baking frenzy, the comments were great, & I passed them on to the significant other.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    Yes you can make a living out of stalking and selling deer.
    I'm afraid if it was quite as simple as that we'd all be doing it.
    Not many stalkers have access to enough quality ground to shoot enough deer to make a reasonable wage.
    I'll admit it is possible for some people but only a tiny minority.

I didn't say everyone can, but it is possible and it is not easy, there are quite a few on this site.

Deer hunting is my hobby and passion. I wonder if full time deer stalkers are itching to get to the golf course lol