New Pulsar N750 arrived today!

Crosshair243

Well, following on from the Yukon Photon thread, I decided instead to order a Pulsar N750 as it had some great reviews and looked really good on YouTube.Basically, the plan is to use it for walking after foxes combined with a Bresser monocular which I already have, for sitting out near release pens and freshly cut silage and stubble fields and to actually take the shot when single handed lamping in the L200.

At present, I use a nightforce scope mounted lamp body with either a 140 or 170 lens on it for walking out with a battery pack, the same for single handed lamping from the truck although I use a normal lightforce 170 to actually lamp with and I don't tend to sit up past dusk so the thinking is that a self contained night vision scope will make all these jobs lighter and easier and will open up more opportunities through sitting out.

The rifle I'm putting it on is my Steyr Scout .243 through which I fire 70g Noslers. At the moment, this is my do it all rifle but I've got a .223 now for all my daytime stuff and am getting a .308 for deer so the scout is in theory the best NV foxing platform being light, short, moderated, easily adjustable for length of pull and having a nice long Weaver rail.

DAF281E5_zps479a3cf9.jpg

It's currently wearing a Swarovski 8x56 which I've managed to sell to my friend to fund half of the NV!
I am gonna miss that scope though, as its killed so much stuff and was very good in low light- but not as good as the pulsar will be ;)

The now naked Scout shows off her pop-up ghost ring sights- handy if you ever wreck a scope whilst in the field ;)

50592C79_zps941e1556.jpg

I ordered my Pulsar from Scottcountry late Tuesday night and it arrived by UPS this morning so great service.

Always fun to get new toys:

32EF7149_zps796c779b.jpg

The scope comes with a weaver rail type mount which I thought would be great for my scout.

210F71F6_zpsc69004a4.jpg

Unfortunately, it has a small bar designed to slot into the groves on your weaver rail and when I tried to remove the tiny grub screw that holds it in place, despite using a good quality Allen key, the head stripped off where it was done up so tight. (The tiny screw is visible in the pic above.)

So, fiddling about, I found it would still mount ok with the small bar butted up against the end of the rail near the front of the chamber opening so I put it on.

00ED61A0_zps796dc415.jpg

Looking good!
Until I went to try cycling a cartridge and realised the bolt wouldn't lift up DOH!

Back to the drawing board, I tried loads of different variations, until, by only using two of the optional three holes that screw the mount to the scope, I managed to find a set up that would allow the eyepiece to be in the correct place......if I could remove that pesky bar!

So, out to the shed, I drilled the little git out! No chance of sending it back now ;)
Anyway, its now set up in a reasonable position although you do need to lift your cheek a little high from the stock but not to the detriment of firing it- i'll probably get a stock mounted bullet holder and pad out with foam underneath until I saved up for a tactical scout style adjustable comb ;)

The solution:
D1FF8E50_zpsa1658db2.jpg

The next dilemma I faced was the mounting of the extra battery pack that Scottcountry throw into the package for free.
Basically, both the Nightmaster IR illuminator and the extra battery pack are vying to occupy the small accessory weaver rail on the side of the scope.
Unless anyone knows differently, its not possible to mount both.

So, sitting there scratching my head, the wife looks over and says "why don't you mount it there!" And points to the large length of weaver rail in front of the scope.
"Don't be so stupid!" Says I, "you won't be able to see anything!"
Of course, as soon as she left the room, I tried it ;)

F224C53A_zps76777449.jpg

And lo and behold! You can still see perfectly through the scope!!!!!
Result :)

The final set-up:

4BF63DAA_zps67c95573.jpg

Last edited:
And so to actually using it.
Despite it being a bit too glarey this afternoon, I made an attempt to zero it. The first problem came when I fired a shot.
Basically,the battery pack jack is a sloppy fit into the scope itself. This means that when I fired, the jack jumped slightly in the socket and the resultant momentary power loss makes the screen go blank as it reboots.
Pretty frustrating, but easily solved by putting some AA batteries in too. This way, you never lose your picture even though I'd imagine the sloppy jack is still moving around.

Next problem was with the zeroing itself. It is neither intuitive or particularly accurate in use. There is no notion of which way you are moving the point of impact because in a complete reversal of a normal scope, you move the reticle to the bullet rather than vice versa.
So I opted to try the one shot zero. Unfortunately, I made the mistake here of following the Scottcountry website as I forgot the instruction book but had my iPhone. It refers you to the n550 instruction page which is the opposite way around!

Basically, in one shot zero mode, an extra cross appears which on the n550, you leave on your point of aim whilst you adjust the reticle on to the point of impact.
Lovely.
Except, on the n750, you leave the reticle on the point of aim and move the extra cross to the point of impact. THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE,
This annoying detail cost me several shots getting further away until I twigged.

Also, the point of impact only seems to change by 75% of the amount of correction you propose. This too cost me several shots and many 100's of yards walking back and forth.
In the end, it took around 20 (£45 worth!!!!) shots to get a good, .75inch high zero at 100y.

Another slight issue is the left hand location of the scope mounted weaver accessory rail. Either battery or Nightmaster mounted on here will make the setup impossible to shoot off of my drivers side wing-mirror, where 95% of my shots are taken.

Anyway, despite all these teething problems, I'm genuinely excited about trying it out- which is where I'm off right now :)

Last edited:
Hi Crosshair.

It sounds like you have a faulty EPS3 battery as it sounds like the jack is slightly undersize (we have had a few this way) so please send it back to us and we will replace it for you.

As for the fitting of aforementioned, the Night Master adjustable mount has a weaver rail on the end of the mount to fit the EPS3 to.

I appreciate it becomes quite an appendage (not an issue when bipod shot) but the option is there.

Alternatively the EPS3 has an extension lead for pocket mounting if required.

With regards to the rail, the little arrestor block doesn't need to be completely removed as such on the Scout.

The idea is if you have a weaver or a picatinny rail, simply tap the block with a screwdriver to crack the seal, and the remove the weaver block with allen key, and reinsert upside down for picatinny.

They are tough to remove granted but I have fitted literally dozens and dozens of them, and a slight tap with a screwdriver or small toffee size hammer is enough to facilitate removal.

If you require a new arrestor block and screw, happy to send you a new one free of charge (assuming you havent drilled out the threads too of course)

Paul

Ref the battery connector: check that the centre pin on the sight is actually "springy" as mine needed encouragement to actually stay connected.

Ok, bit of an update. So much to say, i'll probably forget half of it!
Turns out my nm800 had a faulty battery. A replacement was duly dispatched and I have to say it is great! Such a brilliant picture with that running- very clear.
However, stuff does see the visible light from the NM800. Rabbits especially don't sit for long.

Of course, I was keen to chalk up a kill with it so was out initially night after night. Sod's law made sure I couldn't find a fox for love nor money. On two separate occasions however, I saw foxes after I'd bumped them on foot and neither would stop for a shot- again, as they knew I was there, they looked in my direction and both I am certain clocked the red glow from the NM.

Nights drew on and whilst I was still impressed every time I looked through it, I still hadn't had a shot so I gave in and fired at an 80yard hare busy munching some of my cover maize.... And missed!!
Now, I knew I had zeroed it without the NM attached but I'd assumed reattaching it wouldn't affect things.
I was wrong!
A quick check on a target the next day found me some 6" out! Luckily, I had a better handle on the adjustments and whilst it took more shots than a conventional scope would, I soon had it back on target and a rabbit the following night confirmed things.
still no foxes though.

In the meantime, I took the decision to switch bullets from my five year favourites of 70grain Federal Noslers to Norma 59grain Vmax in a bid to reduce felt recoil a little more and also to give me the flattest possible round as holding / dialling / accurate range finding is all a bit vague lol!

Back to the range and first shot with the new bullets was this one:

E55D4B80_zps76ffa96a.jpg

which pleased me a lot :)

The next four grouped about an inch higher but still, pretty perfect for my needs and no mean feat as anyone who's tried to shoot a Pulsar in daylight will attest ;)

Times crept on and my first poults arrived last week so I've had little time to go out properly.
I had a good feeling tonight though so went out and finally got one!

A vixen shot at about 175-185 yards (will measure it tomorrow).

8CA0B7CC_zps0942cfba.jpg

Lets get one thing clear, using this nv setup is nowhere nearly as simple as a traditional scope and lamp. However, this fox never even knew I was there and would not necessarily have sat like she did for a lamp shot.
i think the more I use it, the more I'll love it but for now, I'm very pleased to have christened it at last :)

Last edited:
I have an N750 + I have a Yukon doubler fitted & also use an NM800IR with extension tube for 2 x batteries + a pressure switch - awesome combination :D
I can't understand why you need to use the battery pack ? I found the onboard IR ate the battery but since I have used the NM I've never changed a set of batteries whilst out (upto 4 hours) I turn my N750 on & off as required.
They really are an awesome bit of kit :lol: :lol:

I have an N750 + I have a Yukon doubler fitted & also use an NM800IR with extension tube for 2 x batteries + a pressure switch - awesome combination :D
I can't understand why you need to use the battery pack ? I found the onboard IR ate the battery but since I have used the NM I've never changed a set of batteries whilst out (upto 4 hours) I turn my N750 on & off as required.
They really are an awesome bit of kit :lol: :lol:

I don't generally (now the NM is back). My thinking was just that the battery pack was free and batteries aren't ;)
I've got batteries in it now anyhow but its no hassle having the battery pack in the stock pouch.

I lasered that fox this morning and it was 176 yards away. I could have shot it a good 30-50 yards sooner (it was walking down the edge of the wood towards me) so just out of interest, did you find the doubler makes a big difference to usability?

Also, do you find stuff sees the red glow from the NM pretty easily???

Its nice when you shoot the first one with nv its very different to lamping as you can take a lot more time over it. I'm not sure they see the glow from the NM that we can see but they do definitely react at times to it. I tend to only switch it on when I'm very close to taking the shot and some will look up at that point. There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it some are completely oblivious yet others show a definite reaction.

I find the same as above - I think if you're looking directly at the NM then you get more of the glow, the other thing is, as said above you do tend to take more time & observe the target more whether its a Fox or a Rabbit or whatever so they in turn have more time to look at "that funny red glow" !!

Bear in mind we will soon have a new Nightmaster which is completely covert, designed for Yukon Photon attachment available.

It wont have the range of the NM800, but the NM200 Covert as it will be named, will be ideal for up to 200m use.

We have tested it on wild boar who seem particularly susceptible to IR emissions, and it works a treat.

Here is a sneak preview, and it will be substantially cheaper than NM800IR.

Pictured on a tactical non sporting rifle as we are filming today for the airsoft market in case anyone wonders.

photon_edited-1.jpg

I just found this thread, had exactly the same problem (well I would, same equipment) I found the scope had to be fitted as you describe in the thread but the recoil stud was filed down to fit by the fella I bought it off, he just happened to be an engineer, (.308 Calibre rifle) he also made a new rear aluminium screw in stud for the battery compartment and a larger wheel for the lens focus knob (not as fiddly)

Interestingly I also bought the 20hr battery from Scott Country,and it is a little loose, but thought that was down to the rubber missing from round the connection point on the scope.

And to hold it in place bought the elasticated bullet holder, so nothing changed since you bought yours it seems

Back