Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to dispatch a wounded deer with a knife?

how to dispatch a wounded deer with a knife?

Hi all, just wondering what the best method of dispatching a wounded deer after the eye touch reflex has shown it is still alive? I've seen a stalker stick the knife in at the top of the spine/base of the head and was wondering if this is the best way and if so, is there a particular spot to put the knife in? And if its not the best way with a knife what is?

Atlas joint is instant but takes practice to perfect. Top of sternum is better as it also bleeds the animal at the same time whilst the heart is possibly still beating. It is also a safer position to be in for a large or antlered deer. Cutting throat is messy and also potentially dangerous.
    MS

And to practice the atlas joint method, you simply practice on (dead) deer.

Simply, doing this allows you to learn instinctively where it is in relation to the back of the neck/ears/contours are.

Also practicing like this wont ruin the carcass, as the head needs to come off anyway (it's its been shot and is heading to the game dealer/larder).

the easiest way to take the head off is to find the atlas joint and push a decent sharp knife in, and push the blade through the gristle of the joint (then you cut around and through the other sides gristle and it comes off clean.

An old FC range taught me -

T

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Atlas joint is instant but takes practice to perfect. MS
    +1 - spot on as long as you know exactly what you're doing. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

A big swing of a machetty to the back of the neck

Dont think I (or anyone hunter I know personally) would take a chance of getting injured. Just put another bullet in the noggin

This all depends on the position and ability of the deer to move and cause the stalker damage. The sex also comes into cosideration due to the antlers.

My preferred method should I need to is atlas joint, then chest, then neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post

the easiest way to take the head off is to find the atlas joint and push a decent sharp knife in, and push the blade through the gristle of the joint (then you cut around and through the other sides gristle and it comes off clean.

An old FC range taught me -

T
    To remove the head, try coming from the throat side, it can be done far easier than from behind the neck and it exposes the lymph nodes better for inspection. I used your method for about 18 years, then learnt an easier trick which is also faster.

Regular Poster
    And all the time the animal is being handled and hacked, grabbing its head holding it down , pressing a knife into its skin, wriggling about hunting for the atlas and shoving it through and then wriggling it about to make sure the spinal Colum is fully severed, because if it’s not it will feel the pain, even over the fear it is enduring, then when the heart stops it finally has brain death , and the fear goes, and its biggest fear "Man!".

" Do the descent, moral, empathetic thing and dispatch with a shot!"

ATB Barry

Quote Originally Posted by barry thom View Post
    And all the time the animal is being handled and hacked, grabbing its head holding it down , pressing a knife into its skin, wriggling about hunting for the atlas and shoving it through and then wriggling it about to make sure the spinal Colum is fully severed, because if it’s not it will feel the pain, even over the fear it is enduring, then when the heart stops it finally has brain death , and the fear goes, and its biggest fear "Man!".

" Do the descent, moral, empathetic thing and dispatch with a shot!"

ATB Barry
    Agreed Barry,

but the question was how to dispatch with a knife.

Regular Poster
    Hi Redandroe,
    The Question was well answered about the how to!
    It’s just that its one of those things about talking about it with me! I start to think maybe someone will think it’s a better way to dispatch and I get the heeby geebbys thinking about the suffering!
    I understand and teach the techneic but always say use your rifle, the knife should always be a last resort!

ATB Barry