Which scope?

So I'm looking for a new scope for my .243 - deer and foxes.
I've got 30mm rings already on the rifle, so would be useful if the scope was 30mm tube.
Thought about getting a scope with IR, got about £400 to spend- happy with fixed or variable.

Any thoughts or recommendations really appreciated.

​Cheers

Last edited:
Schmidt and bender 8x56

Plus 1 - You wont find a better scope for what you want to do with it for the money. Buy a good s/h one and you shouldnt lose much if anything if/when you come to sell it. Just dont expect it to allow you to shoot small targets at long distance, the reticle will be too thick for accurate shot placement on a small target beyond about 150 yards or so.

Just dont expect it to allow you to shoot small targets at long distance, the reticle will be too thick for accurate shot placement on a small target beyond about 150 yards or so.

Assuming you are talking about paper targets then this is perfectly true.

However, as you can print your own paper targets it is possible to get, or make, a target that is suited to the thicker S&B reticule. I often use one with diamonds so you can place the reticule in each corner of the diamond which can give a pretty precise aiming point. I would also sometimes create a thick cross in a bright colour designed such that at the distance I will be shooting I should be able to see an inch all around the reticule when I'm aiming dead center. I have some orange tape that I use to make these up.

So although you might have problems with some conventional paper targets it isn't a big job to make up something suited to the job.

GOT a S&B FOR SALE IT HAS A A7 RET 8X56 HUN CLASSIC YEAR OLD BOX AND PAPERWORK ALL OK ,LIGHT MARKS DUE TO RINGS BUT AS THE RINGS ARE OPTILOCK NO DAMAGE TO SCOPE OR GLASS
ITS ON MY SAKO 85 .308 I PAID £600
ONLY SELLING AS WISH TO GET A VARIABLE S&B .
SELLING IT FOR £400 + ON FLEABAY AT THIS TIME AS THAY ARE SELLING OVER MY REQUESTED PRICE.ONLY PUT IT ON TODAY
IF YOU WISH IT I'LL STOP THE ITEM AND REMOVE FROM EBAY
PIX IF NEEDED
ATB
:tiphat:

Last edited:
Back