Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: deer stalking tips

deer stalking tips

Right hopefully going to do a stalk with my mentor next week yes.gif We will be after fallow and heading out real early in the morning! Just wondering if anyone has any tips for someone who's never been stalking before good.gif

Hopefully between us we'll get one and get some meat for the freezer good.gif

Be there at least 5 minutes early kitted up & ready to go!

Have a good stalk, hope you connect with something.

Mole

Don't have a hot curry the night before and take some bog roll anyway just in case

Haha cheers guys What gear do you reckomend ?

Full camo ? Jacket n trousers Got that

Prob be using his 243 but I might also take mine just to do some practice 8)

Please - make sure your clothing is quiet and in muted colours!

Boots - waterproof and non-squeaking

Gloves and a face veil - muted colours so you don't end up waving flashy white bits around. After all - white bits are normally an alarm signal in the animal world!

Small camera with new batteries in a pocket.

Couple large polythene freezer bags for liver/heart/kidneys from your successful stalk! Its also somewhere to keep those few sheets of bog roll.

Small folding lock knife - your mentor will have a knife for gralloching....... but, should he forget!

Pair of binoculars - ideally 7-8x magnification. They will make the whole day much more enjoyable.

Turn up with that lot & you will be most appropriately equipped guest to ever turn up on a stalk.

Rgds

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Bigthug87
    )

Without trying to be a smart-arse BUT.......

Do your practice on a range, the field is where you kill stuff, not wound it!

Have a good one.

Rgds

Ian

My only tip for stalking is imagine walking so slowly you're never going to get anywhere, then go slower! I spend ages stopping and checking around the place. Movement is the easiest thing to spot in woodland so you want the Deer to be moving more than you ideally! Your mentor will probably sort you out for everything you need to know, and the more mistakes you make the more he can correct you on so you remember.

deer stalking tips

Plus one on Moles post

Quote Originally Posted by IanF
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigthug87
    )

Without trying to be a smart-arse BUT.......

Do your practice on a range, the field is where you kill stuff, not wound it!

Have a good one.

Rgds

Ian
    I didn't mean practice on the Deer Ian Just after wards might get a few shots off for practice

Look to walk ,don,t walk to look!
    See them before they see you!

regards
    griff