What if?

Gouldie69

Had a chat with my old man today who was out last night for a couple hours lamping for rabbits with his CZ 452 .17 HMR.

Apparently, after shooting a few, he tried a shot but nothing, thought the 5 shot mag was empty. Went to reload but wasn't empty, put the mag back in, but the gun failed to allow a round to load.
Got it home and found a 'fired' round had got jammed in the barrel, right at the bolt end of the chamber, preventing another round from being chambered.

He and I have never experienced of such a thing!?

So, questions to you guys with experience,

1. How would a round 'separate' it's head from its shell and get stuck? Remembering he s 70 and deaf it might have discharged or maybe never and something else happened for the round to fail?

2. If it had gone down the barrel enough and allowed another round to cycle, what would you expect the end result to be?
3. Can you get dud that would exhibit such characteristics?

He tells me he has since cleared the barrel in daylight with a wire coat hangar !!! - not sure if he will have scored the barrel and if zero s now repeatable?

The rounds are Remmington but not sure of details.
Sorry it's rim fire but this is the only forum I'm on!

Had a chat with my old man today who was out last night for a couple hours lamping for rabbits with his CZ 452 .17 HMR.

Apparently, after shooting a few, he tried a shot but nothing, thought the 5 shot mag was empty. Went to reload but wasn't empty, put the mag back in, but the gun failed to allow a round to load.
Got it home and found a 'fired' round had got jammed in the barrel, right at the bolt end of the chamber, preventing another round from being chambered.

He and I have never experienced of such a thing!?

So, questions to you guys with experience,

1. How would a round 'separate' it's head from its shell and get stuck? Remembering he s 70 and deaf it might have discharged or maybe never and something else happened for the round to fail?

2. If it had gone down the barrel enough and allowed another round to cycle, what would you expect the end result to be?
3. Can you get dud that would exhibit such characteristics?

He tells me he has since cleared the barrel in daylight with a wire coat hangar !!! - not sure if he will have scored the barrel and if zero s now repeatable?

The rounds are Remmington but not sure of details.
Sorry it's rim fire but this is the only forum I'm on!

Similar thing happened to me last week.
Remington 17grain
Bought last year
No case neck split
No sound of ignition just a click - firing pin on empty chamber sound
Ejected the case, checked barrel and saw a bullet stuck in barrel- primed cartridge but with no charge?
Rifle has fired about Remington 3000 rounds over 4 years without a problem
Have identified(and isolated) the ammunition by batch number and off to the RFD early next week to discuss the issue

Do a search on here.
problems are rife, or so it so seems.

I would not have an HMR even if it was free!!!!

It is relatively common judging from other forums.

I have got an HMR, and it was as near free as you will get..........or else I really would not have bothered.

Back