Expanding ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.

swarovski

Ive read alot of threads since i joined and There seems to be a lot of members using target ammo for foxing and a lot are ready to criticise the use of this type of ammo to use on deer,sounds like we are in amongst a bunch of hypocrits,why should foxes be treated any different than deer :cuckoo:

Ive read alot of threads since i joined and There seems to be a lot of members using target ammo for foxing and a lot are ready to criticise the use of this type of ammo to use on deer,sounds like we are in amongst a bunch of hypocrits,why should foxes be treated any different than deer :cuckoo:

You make a very good point. I believe that a lot of people do so because of our ridiculous firearms laws that don't permit the posting of expanding bullets through the mail.
Perhaps on humanitarian grounds is another reason to make a case for a change in the law.

Last edited:
The Berger fmj that I use for target shooting are also recommended by the manufacturer for use on foxes. atb Tim

The Berger fmj that I use for target shooting are also recommended by the manufacturer for use on foxes. atb Tim

That's possibly because in many countries FMJ bullets are used for fur hunting and the rapid demise of the target animal is of secondary concern.

It certainly seems that some RFD's/shops constabulary's allow simply that the trader 'records' the sale of expanding bullets in their own ledger, while other constabulary's insist the recording of the sale is also entered on the purchasers FAC at which time the FAC holder must be present.
I'm unsure which is correct to the 'law' and which is the chief constables 'discretion'.

What is clear, is that the FAC holder not being present to make the purchase, prohibits the mailing of expanding bullets directly to him/her in the UK...but must be mailed to another RFD where the purchaser collects them, (Probably with the receiving RFD's margin added to the price) although it's fine to have them mailed from abroad into the UK - directly to the purchaser - or is it?

That's the silly part, you can receive from abroad but not from within the U.K. :cuckoo:
Logical bit of legislation isn't it. It drives me mad and what good does it serve anyway. :banghead:

I'm not sure that the law has much to do with this, other than that it has caused bullets designed to expand to be resticted under S5 and those which just happen to expand to be free from such restriction.

Given this state of affairs, it might be that a particular bullet, S5 or not, is suitable for a smaller, lighter mammal such as a fox but not for a larger, heavier one like a deer.
If so, might we be a bunch of people who select approriate bullets for their particular quarry, rather than a bunch of hypocrits?

Last edited:
If you look on your fac i would imagine it sez about the use of expanding ammo on fox and deer etc.i doubt if it sez its ok to use fmj bullets if you want to lol.all hunting ammo is expanding.i dont care what they do in other countries.xpanding ammo is our rules grrrr

That's the silly part, you can receive from abroad but not from within the U.K. :cuckoo:
Logical bit of legislation isn't it. It drives me mad and what good does it serve anyway. :banghead:

I think that there may have been a regulatory reform order drafted to remove these restrictions which was shelved after a serious shooting incident, BASC may have more accurate details of this. atb Tim

If you look on your fac i would imagine it sez about the use of expanding ammo on fox and deer etc.i doubt if it sez its ok to use fmj bullets if you want to lol.all hunting ammo is expanding.i dont care what they do in other countries.xpanding ammo is our rules grrrr

It says that I may possess and use S5 bullets for fox and deer.
There is no law to say I must use S5 bullets on fox.

This thread might be an interesting read.

Last edited:
What do you think s5 ammo is for then.i can see this topic is going to be a pile of poo.all hypocritis please reply.looking forward to the read

Last edited:
Come out you know who you are.step forward and lets here what you have to say

I'm not quite sure what your understanding of the issue on hand is.

Do you think that all non-S5 bullets are non-expanding?
If so, I can see why you'd be unhappy with the idea of non-S5 bullets being used to take quarry. However, I can reassure you that there are indeed non-S5 bullets that do expand, nowithstanding the fact that they are not designed to do so.

I am always careful to comply with relevant legislation and ethical standards in selecting the right bullet for taking quarry.

155 scenar damage, 156m shot

46831845-89E1-442F-AB51-F648ABAC9B36-15600-00000E1ED30B63E4_zps0e0886bc.jpg

Google 'Terminal Ballistics Research' then 'Knowledge Base' and read about 105gn A Max in .243. Quote 'very soft fast expanding and is highly suitable for longer range hunting' This is from someone who has done the research so I guess they do expand. A lot of good reading here!

I personally don't reload so have no knowledge of or interest in the posted-bullet problem.

However, the rise of the ballistic tip (and I love them too- 70grain Noslers in .243 for everything from squirrels to fallow bucks) has somewhat confused people I fear about what it actually takes to kill a fox. At certain angles, a fox is a tough target and a bit of extra penetration is sometimes no bad thing. Pretty much any centrefire bullet from a 35g .22 upwards ripping through a foxes vitals is going to kill it.

Besides, I've had VMax, Noslers and all sorts whiz through a fox with barely a hint they've been there.
If you want to root a fox to the spot, it could be argued that a highly penetrative bullet through both shoulders is better than an explosive one through the chest???

A bit disturbed by your deliberate baiting though :(

they shouldn't be treated any differently than deer. nor should rabbits, hence, ludicrous long shots where you basically just hope to hit 'it' are in my book quite irresponsible, even a mere bunny deserves a well placed shot in the head or vital region rather than a pot-shot from 400yds that could simply just take a leg or two off and leave it to struggle into its burrow.

I think a lot of wanna-be snipers hide behind the 'vermin' categorisation when they justify the distances they shoot at....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back