Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Use of a max on deer?

Use of a max on deer?

It was always my understanding that a max were not allowed for use on deer as they were not designed as a hunting round.

in the current issue of shooting sports (June pages 88-89) there is a story about a hunters long shot on a deer, his load being amax. I wrote an email to the editor for clarification but just received a reply to the effect that he would check with the bullet manufacturer and get back to me. He hasn't replied so I thought I'd ask here..........

all the best,
    mike

​ps, I don't use them myself

just stop it , it's been done to death !

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    just stop it , it's been done to death !
    Not as far as the magazine I mentioned above is concerned!

Hi Mike

There are a couple of posts that cover this:
    Factory .308 hornady 168grain A-MAX ammunition - Page 2
    A Max

Cheers
    iain
    Last edited by I. Farticus; 24-05-2013 at 16:45.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by I. Farticus View Post
    Hi Mike

There are a couple of posts that cover this:
    Factory .308 hornady 168grain A-MAX ammunition - Page 2
    A Max

And one of them has a post:
    "On the bottom of Hornady's HITS calculator it states
    A-MAX™ and BTHP Match
    A-MAX and BTHP are not tested for expansion.
    Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000+ fps.
    These bullets are not recommended for hunting."

And on Bullets - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc it says:
    "A-MAX® Designed by match shooters for match shooters. With an ultra-low drag tip, our A-Max match bullets feature an aerodynamic secant ogive that delivers flat trajectories with excellent uniformity and concentricity. Find out more...

• Rapid, explosive expansion with limited penetration.
    • Recommended muzzle velocity range: 2000+ fps.
    • These bullets are not recommended for hunting."

Cheers
    iain

Thanks for that,
    ​not sure what shooting sports are up to then!

Mike its a grey area very similar to to Vmax discussion and whether as you get heavier in weight they actually are constructed tougher and expand less explosively and more predictably. If you look at them side by side to a Vmax you won't tell any difference, its another case where the law is an ass but it helps a lot of people, the fact they can be posted within the uk as they aren't classed as "expanding" is a definite plus point. In practice and use they work very well as I'm sure your magazine said, whether it was sensible to say it is another matter.

Talking of long shots on deer and using Amax in the same post, brave man, the clammy hand of god will strike thee!

i wonder if the deer can read that it says they are not suitable?

i'm going to shoot one tonight at 50m using a btsp, bet it dont die as quick!

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    Talking of long shots on deer and using Amax in the same post, brave man, the clammy hand of god will strike thee!

i wonder if the deer can read that it says they are not suitable?

i'm going to shoot one tonight at 50m using a btsp, bet it dont die as quick!
    Yes 375 yards apparently,

Grey Area only in certain respects!

Read the FCC minute on the position ( maybe false credit, but think BASC posted it on SD? ) - any area still considered 'grey' can then be debated to your heart's content in court!

This will just keep getting pushed and pushed until the Target shooters will be able to thank us for removing a good bullet from their option list. If the writer was a certain tattoo handed gentleman this is a long running theme of his. If the article is as stated then both the writer and publisher have displayed a significant lack of judgement and/or ignorance of the law. And not least done us all a dis-service.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

I struggle to comprehend why if there's as much as a shadow of doubt, any ethical stalker would not just opt for a bullet that is for sure designed for the job at hand? mind boggling!
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset