Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 hornet or .222 ?

.22 hornet or .222 ?

I'm looking for a small cf .22 for a vermin and fox rifle. I know the .222 would most likely be better for me as a fox rifle but might be a bit over the top for general vermin, long range corvids mainly. I don't reload so ammo cost is also a consideration. Your thoughts please?

Hi Squirrel Basher,

I shoot a 222 most of the time for roe and fox, i have a 243 but usually the 222 is the gun of choice. Its a great round and pretty flat shooting. I usually zero it at 150 and will shoot easily out to 250. would shoot further with practice if extra distance is needed. As for ammo i shoot sako gamehead and there 16 a box and you can also get prvi in 222 for about 10 a box.

I went through the same thought process, and went for a .222.

I love it.

I chose it in the end because I wanted something I could still use for roe - and it works perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboab29 View Post
    Hi Squirrel Basher,

I shoot a 222 most of the time for roe and fox, i have a 243 but usually the 222 is the gun of choice. Its a great round and pretty flat shooting. I usually zero it at 150 and will shoot easily out to 250. would shoot further with practice if extra distance is needed. As for ammo i shoot sako gamehead and there 16 a box and you can also get prvi in 222 for about 10 a box.
    Where do you get Sako gamehead for 16???

Got them at bushwear and they were either 16 or 17 cant actually remember but that was last year. I'm guessing by your reply they have went up slightly??lol I need to stock up as well i'm running low.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboab29 View Post
    Got them at bushwear and they were either 16 or 17 cant actually remember but that was last year. I'm guessing by your reply they have went up slightly??lol I need to stock up as well i'm running low.
    Ah - yes. From what I understand, Bushwear were selling them at an artificially low price to get people to start buying them ('loss leader' is the technical term, I think). They've gone up to about 22-25 now, depending where you get them. Still use them though - great rounds.

Actually, I'll qualify that statement: they're *usually* very good. But I had a very dodgy batch recently that patterned like a shot gun. Back to normal now.

IMO .22 Hornet is a great little round. The advantages over .222 are less powder, noise & recoil, but I personally would go for .222 (I now have two) as this will give you better range, less holdover and my perhaps more relevant is that some Hornets can be hard to get to shoot accurately, whereas I doubt you will have this problem with a .222.

You could always consider the .17 Hornet or better still the .17Rem - brilliant little calibre!

Thanks for the replies fellas.

+1 for the 222. Great wee Round from vermin to Roe.