Thread: Best long range varmint scope

Best long range varmint scope

Hi what does every think is the best long range varmint scope for low light but also good for short range deer stalking for a 243 thanks
    Budget 2000

Hi Charlie

Depends on what you call "long range" I guess, but for that budget I'd buy my Swaro Z6i 3-18x50 again!

Happily hit v-bulls at 600yds, though I'd not shoot anything live beyond 250...

Looks like your local-ish, so if you want a gander, PM me

Also:
    For Sale: swaro z6 and leupolds The Swaro looks like a great deal!!

Cheers
    iain
    Last edited by I. Farticus; 24-05-2013 at 10:44.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

the hardest part of having a scope that does both things can be the ret. of course you want it fine enough so you can see targets at a long way with out covering them
    ​but at the same time you don't want nothing to fine otherwise it might be hard to see in the early morning or late evening light. so one with ir is a must imo.

i would look at a zeiss victory 6x24x56. they offer a good choice of reticials. they have ir. so ideal in low light. and glass is superb. early morning. day. evening and night under lamp

​only downside is the new range of victory you have to pay extra for a windage turret which is a joke really.

the swaro offers everything but imo if your dialing in for longrange work you need proper turrets

I would consider the S&B 3-20x50pm2 a really compat scope, great with the p4 reticle and mil turrets, all the diability yiu'll ever need.

Thanks for the info everyone I asked because I am get my shopping list ready for my first rifle set up. Swaros look good but I thought they didn't have dialable turrets for specific range. Also aim sure this has been asked before but what do you think mills or moa turrets thanks

before buying a long range scope for varminting, consider the type of varminting you will do and in what sort of environment, if it's foxes at 200-300yds all you need is an 8x56 fixed that's zero'd at 200. if it's further you may wish to have turrets,,however, if it's at night and you don't have numerous minutes to stand and dope the wind, check your laser range finder, adjust for temperature, elevation, humidity, and range, drift, etc. etc. because the fox will have buggered off by then,,,,,THEN consider a ladder reticle/varmint reticle where you have both drift and drop marked to say 600yds, like the ZEISS,,or alternatively the swaro BT colour code system, as you can range find, quick dial on colour ring or hold on a lower ladder on the reticle, and squeeze.

if you're in the field and have all the time in the world to range find, dope, etc. etc. etc. yeah, why not go for a MOA dual turret tower system, it's fun, but not fast, so consider your objectives and how it's to be used before dropping big cash.
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

Quote Originally Posted by pietasvenatores View Post
    before buying a long range scope for varminting, consider the type of varminting you will do and in what sort of environment, if it's foxes at 200-300yds all you need is an 8x56 fixed that's zero'd at 200. if it's further you may wish to have turrets,,however, if it's at night and you don't have numerous minutes to stand and dope the wind, check your laser range finder, adjust for temperature, elevation, humidity, and range, drift, etc. etc. because the fox will have buggered off by then,,,,,THEN consider a ladder reticle/varmint reticle where you have both drift and drop marked to say 600yds, like the ZEISS,,or alternatively the swaro BT colour code system, as you can range find, quick dial on colour ring or hold on a lower ladder on the reticle, and squeeze.

if you're in the field and have all the time in the world to range find, dope, etc. etc. etc. yeah, why not go for a MOA dual turret tower system, it's fun, but not fast, so consider your objectives and how it's to be used before dropping big cash.
    ie Swaro 3-18x50 with BR-I reticule... Use rangefinder, then select appropriate line or blob - stop me if I'm getting too technical :-)
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

The BT system on the Swarovski scopes is not suitable for really long range varmints, the click value is just too big for small targets and not versatile enough either.

My recomendation would be the Zeiss Victory, but in the American 1/4 click version or the even rarer 1/2cm as the standard UK model has 1cm clicks. I use one with the Rapid Z Varmint reticle which gives the option of holdover or dial in as required. The glass is top notch as well

Haven't been looking recently but in the old days (1990's) most of the so called 1/4 MOA scopes were actually closer to 3/8 MOA. The recent MIL adjustment scopes I have used with 1/10th MIL adjustments are based on a 6400 Mil circle and are more like 0.3375 MOA per click.

SS