Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Axes

Axes

I have a Gransfor Bruks hunter's axe that I really love but do to the weather here in the Southwest the handle frequently dries oui=t and the head becomes loose. Been thinking of replacing it something having a synthetic handle and am looking at the Fisker's axe. Any other recommendations?

SS

stand it in a bucket of water occasionally !

From long term personal use I can highly recommend Fiskars. Excellent balance and as tough as nails. Very good axes indeed!

I like to keep an axe in my Jeep and don't often remember to put it in the small container of boiled linseed oil on occasion...

SS

Actually looked at a gransfors axe today played about with it ,then decided na i prefer my fiskars its a fiskers x10 ive got used most days cuts way above what is should.an about 50 quid cheaper.

I have 2 fiskars axes a x27 and a x10 can't fault them.

I've been looking at the X15, the X10 (not sold in the US, we do have the X11) is too small and the X27 too specialized for my needs. The X15 is slightly longer than the GB Hunters axe and from handling in local stores appears to be the best for my needs and will not be damaged by being left in the daytime heat here in the Sonoran Desert.

SS

Quote Originally Posted by MARCBO View Post
    I've been looking at the X15, the X10 (not sold in the US, we do have the X11) is too small and the X27 too specialized for my needs. The X15 is slightly longer than the GB Hunters axe and from handling in local stores appears to be the best for my needs and will not be damaged by being left in the daytime heat here in the Sonoran Desert.

SS
    The problem here is that we don't get the temps that you do nor the dryness so relating to it is hard for us really. The UK is usually damp so we simply do not get these problems. I imagine that if your were located in somewhere like St Louis you would also not have the problem as they have more humidity as I understand it even if they do get temps of over 100 regularly in the summer.

Soak the handle in screen wash, it will expand the wood fibres.

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    Soak the handle in screen wash, it will expand the wood fibres.
    AS above, but for a permanent effect. Anti freeze,.... http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct...zj8r5AZ3kjhCVQ
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!