Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rimfire moderator, more than one calibre?

Rimfire moderator, more than one calibre?

Hello chaps - bit of a puzzled look on my face at the moment

I've got a .17hmr rifle on my certificate, along with a moderator - standard one with no serial number

this is recorded on my cert as follows:

calibre makers name type action identification number
    .17HMR UNKNOWN Sound Moderator N/A NONE
    .17HMR CZ Rifle Bolt Action A45___

Now, I've also got an open slot for a .22RF rifle, that I've filled this afternoon at the phoenix with a lovely little 10/22 for a bargain price - and an open slot for a .22 sound moderator, that I haven't filled.

Legally, is there any reason that I can't use the rimfire moderator that I've got on the .17HMR on the new .22 ? or would I need to buy a separate identical moderator to keep things in order?

thanks for any pointers

​K

Quote Originally Posted by Labrat View Post
    Hello chaps - bit of a puzzled look on my face at the moment

I've got a .17hmr rifle on my certificate, along with a moderator - standard one with no serial number

this is recorded on my cert as follows:

calibre makers name type action identification number
    .17HMR UNKNOWN Sound Moderator N/A NONE
    .17HMR CZ Rifle Bolt Action A45___

Now, I've also got an open slot for a .22RF rifle, that I've filled this afternoon at the phoenix with a lovely little 10/22 for a bargain price - and an open slot for a .22 sound moderator, that I haven't filled.

Legally, is there any reason that I can't use the rimfire moderator that I've got on the .17HMR on the new .22 ? or would I need to buy a separate identical moderator to keep things in order?

thanks for any pointers

​K
    Good question, I'm in a similar position with a .30 mod which I use on my .243 and I'm thinking of buying a .308 and hope to use the mod on that as well!

Just inform your FEO that you wish to use one sound Mod for two rifles, as long as the rifles have a slot for a sound Mod it should be OK
    Last edited by GP1; 24-05-2013 at 15:20.

what you should have ask for was a rimfire mod not a calibre specific then you can use one on both rifle same as centre fire think you will be ok but i would ask my FO for advice.

You can use one mod for all, BUT, each rifle must have an 'authority to aquire' a mod for each. This is what gives the authority to use a mod with the rifle, without a slot, you cannot use a mod even if you have one to suit.

Regards
    ​Pete

The tramp I have had 2 . 22 rifles and 1 .22 modifier, nowhere on my license does it say which rifle it is for, so which one should it be fitted too.

I have one moderator for two rifles,, no restriction on what one it goes on, and one of them does not have a slot for a moderator. I have a moderator, I have the rifles, I am entitled to use them.

L&B sensability at work again. If police Scotland use best practice then things should get easier for a few folk in Scotland.

When I had a 17HMR and a 22LR I asked whether I could use the same mod and Northern Constabulary (that was) were only too happy: changed to "SMALLBORE" on the ticket...and it saved me the price of a variation when doing a 141 before buying the 17HMR. They'd actually have been happy either way but were also happy for me to save some money.
    Maybe it's just up here that being sensible overcomes jobs worth? Long may it continue under the new regime.

Quote Originally Posted by The tramp View Post
    You can use one mod for all, BUT, each rifle must have an 'authority to aquire' a mod for each. This is what gives the authority to use a mod with the rifle, without a slot, you cannot use a mod even if you have one to suit.
    +1
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Quote Originally Posted by Barkingsnake View Post
    When I had a 17HMR and a 22LR I asked whether I could use the same mod and Northern Constabulary (that was) were only too happy: changed to "SMALLBORE" on the ticket...and it saved me the price of a variation when doing a 141 before buying the 17HMR. They'd actually have been happy either way but were also happy for me to save some money.
    Maybe it's just up here that being sensible overcomes jobs worth? Long may it continue under the new regime.
    Similar here...I can use my .17HMR sound moderator on any other calibre I have that the moderator is suitable for i.e. .22lr. This was clarified with my feo. I can take my .243 and my .308 out and use them both, same logic is applied to the moderator, they are separate line items that are 'firearms' in their own right.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks