Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TECH TIP: Clean Your Chamber and Lug Recesses

TECH TIP: Clean Your Chamber and Lug Recesses

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-lug-recesses/ - an interesting article and something I neglected to do for a long time. Regards JCS

Interesting article. I clean my chamber every time I clean or boresnake my barrels. I acquired a recess lug cleaning tool a few years ago and use it every so often especially when cleaning a rifle that has been put away well lubricated and hasn't been shot for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by andy View Post
    Interesting article. I clean my chamber every time I clean or boresnake my barrels. I acquired a recess lug cleaning tool a few years ago and use it every so often especially when cleaning a rifle that has been put away well lubricated and hasn't been shot for some time.
    + 1, But with out the use of bore snakes.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Chamber/Lug cleaning kits are one of our slowest moving stock items.

Fully understand the 'view' of those that think - never 'had ' to do it before and everything was fine - why now/ just another money spinning gadget scam etc etc.

Being a teaching set -up here, its a fine line to walk between advice/ dictating/ not actually doing the job we're there for! Hence the reason John is on medication and I'm on the waiting list...

But I just pose the question - is not a rifle a quite expensive and finely engineered tool? As such proper care is unlikely to do any harm so why not treat it well?

Like many others in the trade ( admittedly the opposite does apply as well ), we sell what we believe in and use. I use a chamber/ lug cleaner periodically on both course rifles and my own. Not as any cunning marketing plan, but because I need my tools to perform and cannot professionally - or, I'll admit on an ego basis/ pride - afford to drop too many clangers!

But I believe informed choice rules and each to there own. Life isnt black or white and neither is gun care. All the gear and no idea still relevant! So a very useful link - thank you.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...-lug-recesses/ - an interesting article and something I neglected to do for a long time. Regards JCS
    been using a similar kit for years by pro shooter

I use a 20 year old "pro shot" kit I purchased with my first custom 6br stalking tool.

It's used every time I clean / scrub the bore, (10 shots max between a real clean). Believe me the lug recess tool swab comes out filthy every time!

Its a case of dont knock it till you've tried it!

In my opinion well worth the minimal investment, if you value your equipment.
    Grampian Guns (RFD)
    Independant Moderator / Supressor Suppliers
    ..........for those who like a quiet life !
    Our mission.......Customer satisfaction......plain and simple.

mmm?

Clean mine with larger caliber mope but think I might keep an eye for the false teeth toothbrush with the extra bristle on the back for the lug channels lol
    Last edited by Rusty Gate; 08-07-2013 at 20:21.

DIY bolt recess cleaning tool...

Use dental swabs - dirt cheap

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bolt recess swab.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	30171

Quote Originally Posted by j0e_bl0ggs View Post
    DIY bolt recess cleaning tool...

Use dental swabs - dirt cheap

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bolt recess swab.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	30171
    ​That, I like.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Quote Originally Posted by remmy700 View Post
    I use a 20 year old "pro shot" kit I purchased with my first custom 6br stalking tool.

It's used every time I clean / scrub the bore, (10 shots max between a real clean). Believe me the lug recess tool swab comes out filthy every time!

Its a case of dont knock it till you've tried it!

In my opinion well worth the minimal investment, if you value your equipment.
    +1. These are still available and only cost around 25 I believe. I have one and the few times it has been loaned out to mates, they have been stunned by the gunge removed from the chamber and the lock area. This can also be the cause of tight rounds being loaded when there is no apparent reason for it.