Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Felt Guilty Afterwards

I Felt Guilty Afterwards

I was talking to one of the Farmers where i shoot his ground last evening and he said when he was mowing one of his fields he noticed a Fox that kept hanging around,so tonight i went to look for the field at about 10.00pm i took my Browning X Bolt and my Archer night vision just in case there were Foxes in the field in question.I drove into the field and straight away under the top hedge i caught an eye shine i knew there were some Badger holes in the hedge that have been there for many years so i swung my Truck around to face the bank hedge and switched both lights and engine off and just waited, having a look through the Archer every few minutes, i wanted to make sure it was'nt A badger i first saw.I was parked 147 yards from the suspected Fox Den and after 20 minutes i caught sight of movement just coming out into the short grass and it was a Fox cub i slid the Archer onto my 223 and bang the cub lay flat and then another one ran out towards the shot cub so i dropped that one aswell,i was told by the Farmer to shoot the Foxes on his Farm if ever i see one, i don't like shooting cubs this young it goes against the grain abit but i don't pay for the shooting so i have to do what i am asked to do by the Farmer,i never waited to see if there were more cubs there but as i was driving out of the field i saw an adult Fox on it's way back to the Den and i must admit i felt a bit guilty for just shooting 2 of it's cubs , .

You feel bad but still feel the need to post a gratuitous picture of the dead cubs.
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

Well i guess i am not just a cold hearted killer of animals and have a respect for them, and also this is a Forum where people share their experiences with others as i have just done.

Perfectly healthy to feel guilty about it. There's plenty of guys on here who have livelihoods dependent on controlling foxes who might understandably feel different but personally speaking as someone who doesn't 'have' to but does so at the request of landowners.... yes there is a sense of satisfaction at being successful but also a twang of remorse

As for the photo, well maybe not to everyone's taste to be honest... understand why you took it though

i have to say your a brave man admiting it and i respect the fact u feel bad , but come on what the farmer doesnt know cant hurt , what was wrong giving them a sporting chance and leting geting them when there a bit older say september october time ? they have done well to get this far especially afte the shity spring winter weve just had, theres no fairness involved in killing cubs fish in a barrel , you would of got more enjoyment of watching the cubs and mother playin about , why didnt you shoot the vixen as well ? i shot 100 + foxs last year on my ground not one of them was dependent on there mother, and all my farmers are more than happy with the job i do at controling them and as i said thers no need to touch cubs, i hope next time your in this situation you will remeber how bad you felt at knocking off the last set of cubs, " live and let live"
    LIVE AND LET LIVE! THERES ALWAYS ANOTHER DAY!

Anyone who isn't prepared to shoot foxes 12 months of the year is just playing at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    Anyone who isn't prepared to shoot foxes 12 months of the year is just playing at it.
    Quite possibly, but there again it is a hobby for most of us.
    I would not shoot cubs unless asked to do so, but maybe that's just me.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by robert1666 View Post
    i have to say your a brave man admiting it and i respect the fact u feel bad , but come on what the farmer doesnt know cant hurt , what was wrong giving them a sporting chance and leting geting them when there a bit older say september october time ? they have done well to get this far especially afte the shity spring winter weve just had, theres no fairness involved in killing cubs fish in a barrel , you would of got more enjoyment of watching the cubs and mother playin about , why didnt you shoot the vixen as well ? i shot 100 + foxs last year on my ground not one of them was dependent on there mother, and all my farmers are more than happy with the job i do at controling them and as i said thers no need to touch cubs, i hope next time your in this situation you will remeber how bad you felt at knocking off the last set of cubs, " live and let live"
    ​if it was your lambs they were tucking into it might be different dont sho ot them now and later on they will cause death

Quote Originally Posted by robert1666 View Post
    Why didn't you shoot the vixen as well ?
    Next time, sit tight and wait until you're sure you've got the whole lot.