CZ Hornet mag alteration.

neil the plumber

Trying to increase my COL of my hornet rounds but am restricted by the magazine length. The restriction is in the form of a strip of plastic running down the inside of the mag.Has anyone removed this plastic to increase round length. May have to make a new plate for the rounds to sit on/spring push against.
I know I could single load, but this is a bit of a pain.
Many thanks Neil.

Trying to increase my COL of my hornet rounds but am restricted by the magazine length. The restriction is in the form of a strip of plastic running down the inside of the mag.Has anyone removed this plastic to increase round length. May have to make a new plate for the rounds to sit on/spring push against.
Many thanks Neil.

I've had it done to mine. You don't remove the plastic strip and leave it out, you file it down to the right width, then insert it back with a small grub screw (not sure where or why). I'm at work so can't get to the mag to look at it.

Neil, I would be very interested to hear whether extending the COL makes any difference to the performance for you.

My reason is that I have experimented and found that COL makes little or no difference in my BSA. Clearly home-loading for the .22 Hornet is well worth while and a big improvement on the factory rounds that are normally available, but I am not sure about COL.

I remember reading something about the unusual chamber construction of the .22 Hornet. Perhaps others with technical knowledge will be able to help or comment on that aspect ? I am wondering whether this is why I experienced little difference in performance by changing COL ?

My old BSA is similarly limited by the magazine however I also tried single loading rounds that were longer than the magazine would take, with little or no difference to performance. The BSA albeit 1950's manufacture, is in very good condition and shoots better than I can.

I now set my COL for just short of the maximum that the magazine will take, however there is no 'science' in choosing that COL as such.

Good luck.

When loading with 40gr v-max you need to modify the mag on cz unless you wish to feed individual rounds.35gr v-max col 1.715, 40gr v-max col 1.810.May be as well to purchase a spare mag.Good results to be had with 40gr and lil'gun.Good luck

I use the 40grn V max with 13grn Lil gun in my 527 (best hornet rifle by far), I also had to modify the magazine, the plastic spacer requires cutting down but the follower also requires modification otherwise it see saws backwards and forwards and jams, first attempt I made was a total arse then my brother made me a new follower and the problem was solved.

Has anybody tried using the internal parts from a 527 mag for either .222 or .223 ?
It is easier to cut followers down, then to make them longer.

Neil. :)

but the follower also requires modification otherwise it see saws backwards and forwards and jams,

That's where the grub screw goes. drill a small hole in the follower and turn the screw into it until the whole assembly works

Your going regret it, its a rimmed case !! :eek: Trim the head point

Please explain, "head point"
As for the rimmed case, well so long as you keep the plastic spacer at the rear of the magazine at it's original angle
it should feed fine, there was a company doing magazine mods for the CZ hornet, but they stopped when the CZ bean counters
decided to make bits from plastic.

Neil. :)

Many thanks Neil.

I have done this modification. PM me your email address and i will send you some pictures.

Back