Thread: Horny Roe Doe - Will this be in my DSC1?

Horny Roe Doe - Will this be in my DSC1?

Ok - so it probably won't be, but I've learnt the sound of a Roe doe in heat today

Small steps - as I write, there's one squeaking for a mate about 300 yards from my house every few minutes or so. I couldn't work out what it was to start with, then I remembered that it's Roebuck season and that the does are the noisy ones. Watched a few youtube videos and sure enough it's a doe calling. Now I'm sitting on my bed smiling to myself every time she calls.

I realise that to 90% of the users of this forum that won't be anything special, but it's the first time I've heard it and it makes me think that I am picking up bits of knowledge about deer here and there - perhaps I'll pass my DSC1 in August after all...

Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by neutron619 View Post
    Ok - so it probably won't be, but I've learnt the sound of a Roe doe in heat today

Small steps - as I write, there's one squeaking for a mate about 300 yards from my house every few minutes or so. I couldn't work out what it was to start with, then I remembered that it's Roebuck season and that the does are the noisy ones. Watched a few youtube videos and sure enough it's a doe calling. Now I'm sitting on my bed smiling to myself every time she calls.

I realise that to 90% of the users of this forum that won't be anything special, but it's the first time I've heard it and it makes me think that I am picking up bits of knowledge about deer here and there - perhaps I'll pass my DSC1 in August after all...

Adam.
    You may be a little incorrect here,....... I would have written that 90% of townies would not either hear, or if they did hear, be interested, however, on SD, many would instantly be interested. I'm still waiting to hear the Cuckoo round here, not heard one in two years. Steve.

OH , & good luck with your L1!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Sorry mate, but if you heard this yesterday it's unlikely to be a doe calling for a mate, it's about eight weeks to early, maybe calling to her fawn,have also sometimes heard them calling when they are about to give birth, which is what I suspect you have heard.
    Last edited by bogtrotter; 26-05-2013 at 09:33.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by neutron619 View Post

Adam.
    I'm sorry to put a downer on you but Roe does do not come into heat in May unless there is something seriously wrong with them.
    I could possibly be a doe looking for her fawns but unless you've got hearing like my missus or your a scot and can hear someone dropping a coin at 300yds this too is unlikely.
    I've heard a doe in heat in August and she was bleating at 20m and was not that audible, but then i am deaf
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    Sorry mate, but if you heard this yesterday it's unlikely to be a doe calling for a mate, it's about eight weeks to early, much more likely she was calling to her fawn,have also sometimes heard them calling when they are about to give birth.
    Ok, well thanks for putting me right - I'm probably going to have to answer questions on all of this stuff so it's useful to know. I'll have a better idea whenever the stuff that BDS are sending me comes through the post. In the meantime, it was still pretty cool to hear it and recognise the sound, even if I got the reason wrong. I think I've probably seen her at some point - a passing deer-shaped shadow went across the road in front of me on the way up to my house a couple of months back: I couldn't make out the shape well enough to tell the species then, but my wife's seen her since and we're reasonably sure "it" didn't have antlers. I suspect she's in the wood not far from my house.

I'll stop romanticising

Adam.