Thread: fitting Apel swing off mounts

fitting Apel swing off mounts

Morning, I'm just about to fit some apel swing off mounts to my new Schults and Larsen rifle, exciting ! Does anyone have any advice on this ?

Test fit the front mount for tightness in twist before you mount it to the action
    IMO a dab of thread lock on the tightening screw stops future faffing.

The front mount should be tight enough to not have any slop when fitted but not so tight as you can't twist it in without a scope fitted to it (temptation is to use the scope as a lever!)

Fit both bases.
    fit front mount and check for tightness in twist on

fit rear mount centering it in the slot (there is some front to back tolerance but should be no side to side slack)
    fit the scope into the fitted mounts and fit top rings tightening them a little at a time to make sure the gaps between ring top and ring bottom are similar size on all four corners until you close them on the scope.

do not overtighten even if you don't have a torque driver

check for release and refit capability.

go shoot something

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    Test fit the front mount for tightness in twist before you mount it to the action
    IMO a dab of thread lock on the tightening screw stops future faffing.

The front mount should be tight enough to not have any slop when fitted but not so tight as you can't twist it in without a scope fitted to it (temptation is to use the scope as a lever!)

Fit both bases.
    fit front mount and check for tightness in twist on

fit rear mount centering it in the slot (there is some front to back tolerance but should be no side to side slack)
    fit the scope into the fitted mounts and fit top rings tightening them a little at a time to make sure the gaps between ring top and ring bottom are similar size on all four corners until you close them on the scope.

do not overtighten even if you don't have a torque driver

check for release and refit capability.

go shoot something
    Brilliant ! Hi, thanks for the kind and very helpfull post. I'll nip out and get some thread lock now.

Kind regards, Olaf
    Last edited by Olaf; 26-05-2013 at 09:51.

If you can wait until Tuesday I have a copy of the Apel fitting instructions or try on line I think you can get it in a PDF. Be careful the screws which attach the bases to the rifle action need to be torqued correctly to avoid any thread shearing issues. Also put masking tape or electrical tape around the scope as the apel rings are exact fitting and you need to slightly force them over the scope tube and this will avoid you scratching it. you can then peel the tape off. Rgds Jason,

I have a 1 inch ground bar of steel (it comes as tool steel in 1 inch diameter) this is my first fitting test pretend scope body to save straining the scope body when twisting it into locked position. when the swing friction feels right (you might need to use jewelers rouge abrasive on the mating surfaces) then change it for the actual scope.
    Otherwise you might need a 30mm ground bar to do the same things. Worst case is the under scope integral rails Zeiss etc use.
    Martin

Hi chaps, I've fitted them now and they were easy to do once I'd had a good look at them and familiarised myself with how they work. They are a brilliant design though, I'm really impressed. I'm just going to load some ammo and then zero the little puppy in. Brilliant stuff, many thanks for all of the kind advice.

Kind regards, Olaf

Make sure the release lever doesn't bottom out when the scope is in place ,should have a mm or so clearance from the mount.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawnraider View Post
    Make sure the release lever doesn't bottom out when the scope is in place ,should have a mm or so clearance from the mount.
    Yah, I nipped it up so that it is in constant preasure with the mount, is this what you mean ?

Olaf, don't forget you can bore-sight the scope to the rifle using the on-mount adjustments. If you centralise your scope turrets before doing this you will leave yourself with the maximum useable adjustment in your scope.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.