Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: muntjac?

muntjac?

spotted a muntjac about 200y away from my boundry last night! never seen any on this patch before,just wondering if they will have a negative impact on the roe population,what do you think? not sure weather to shoot any that i see or let them establish abit? cheers

Many will say shoot everyone you see .i believe munty's add another dimension to stalking and like it or not are here to stay .upto you on your patch I have stalked ground with 4 species living happily on the same estate .your call sir !
    cheers
    ​norma

They won't have a negative impact on your Roe. I would tend let them come on a bit (unless it's a good buck!), don't believe it if people say that they will be in plague numbers as soon as you turn your back. I have a couple of places with what seem to be quite low populations and have been for years.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by liongeorge View Post
    They won't have a negative impact on your Roe. I would tend let them come on a bit (unless it's a good buck!), don't believe it if people say that they will be in plague numbers as soon as you turn your back. I have a couple of places with what seem to be quite low populations and have been for years.
    Anything that eats food destined for Roe will have a negative impact. Although they browse at different heights there is a crossover zone. They will also given enough time seriously affect bramble patches and also natural flora.
    10 years ago on one of my patches they were an occasional sighting, now I shoot them regularly and the estate next door hammers the hell out of them.
    Shoot them and keep shooting them would be my advice
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

would like your problem we havent any in the cumbria area that we know of

You stalkers are very lucky to have a variety of species. I find this Muntjac very interesting. I f you have any excess and want "rid of em" please post them over here to Ireland. Two species on your ground is in my opinion far better than one. Management is the key.Glendine.

the deer manager in you should be saying shoot on site and try and stop there spread
    the sportsman in you will be saying let them astablish and think of the futre outings muntjac stalking
    you decide which side you want to sit on but to be honest if he ground is right for them and they can get to it which they obviously can you will have a hard job to stop them

Quote Originally Posted by Glendine View Post
    You stalkers are very lucky to have a variety of species. I find this Muntjac very interesting. I f you have any excess and want "rid of em" please post them over here to Ireland. Two species on your ground is in my opinion far better than one. Management is the key.Glendine.
    Give it time, they have turned up in the North, probably with the help of Ifor Williams and will no doubt spread.

Yet again, people are reminded that the transport and release of these horrible little beasts is illegal...ILLEGAL for the hard of seeing, and cannot be condoned or encouraged in any way shape or form. Hopefully Mr Williams and his co-pilot will be caught and prosecuted. In the meantime....treat as vermin and shoot on sight.

After hearing all these tales of transportation of munties which no doubt has occurred I just have 2 questions , how and surely lots would die of stress ?