Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand seasons

New Zealand seasons

Hi All,
    Anyone know what the seasons are for deer etc in New Zealand?
    Might be going over next year for 3 weeks and if i can tie up a stalk with some fly fishing that would be great.
    Anyone been over?
    Good time or bad any advice greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    Richard

Try sending PM to John D M, he lives over there so should be able to help!

Eric

I have done a bit of hunting over there, last time was 2008. There are no season for mammals eg:- deer, chamois, boar, goats, Tahr ect there is for birds and fish. That said most of the best hunting is done in there autumn/winter as over here, that means hunting in March though to August.

I am a bit short for time now but can give you contacts ect latter.

Best rgds

Tahr

If you are not looking already( seem to remember seeing a Devon Stalker on there recently ) go on the Huntnfish.co.nz forum really good little site, and JohnDM is also on there, think their Roar (rut) is around Easter time give or take a month.
    Although I was warned it can get a bit hairy with all the townies dusting off their rifles and looking for anything brown with good twigs

Thanks guys, i thought i was being a little stupid, all i could find was seasons for ducks as you have stated.
    Legal...yes i have posted over there, as Devon Flyfisher, well spotted, just requested some suggestions on books to read up on deer stalking and fly fishing, Devon Flyfisher is the name of my fly fishing business.
    Perhaps orange coats should be the order of the day when stalking over there as it is in the states.
    Cheers
    Richard

N.Z

As already said no season for mammels, and you do have to watch out as alot of areas close to town can get very busy at weekends, orange vest may be good idea, maybe not the tin hat though but what I do, as we only live 2 kms from bush Ruahine Ranges is if I see a bit of traffic going up our road I don`t go up in the bush
    It is DEFINETLEY hard hunting over here, alot of thick bush, and very very steep climbs, neighbour hunts for pot, and he has shot deer touching the end of the barrel a long shot for him is about 20 metres.
    What area you coming to over here Richard? if I can be of any help pm me, maybe better on the other site as I look at that a bit more.

Thanks John, i will pm you on the other site.
    I imagine the season must be self regulating.
    If you go by the same timings for deer giving birth over here and when they become independant anyone can't go wrong.
    From what i have seen so far there seems to be very little done in the way of a hind cull, i am correct in my thinking?
    Cheers
    Richard

i done some so called hunting over there with some kiwi mates. any ideas u have about stalking over here throw out the window. my very limited experience involved a shed load of bevy some very dubious gun safety and a lot of lamping mainly as deer are seen as vermin in general. some hunters on doc land will only take the very best cuts if any and possibly only the head.
    the area where the took me was the taki timou? spelling mountians absolutely bueatiful. the same area was due to be poisioned the following year to kill the possoms but as poision laced into carrots and dropped from planes/helis tends to wipe out a lot of the wildlife.
    i'm sure the brown trout season starts 1st oct as i missed it and i think duck season in the south is 1st march. i'm sure u'll love it its an amazing place. and my experience may not be the norm as the mates i was isting are fairly hardcore p*shheads.
    after i left 1 of the boys mates managed to shoot 2 sheep while lamping deer. u can't even begin to wonder how that is possible, and he was sober, so jist be very careful if on doc land. no dsc's over there

i done some so called hunting over there with some kiwi mates. any ideas u have about stalking over here throw out the window. my very limited experience involved a shed load of bevy some very dubious gun safety and a lot of lamping mainly as deer are seen as vermin in general. some hunters on doc land will only take the very best cuts if any and possibly only the head.
    the area where the took me was the taki timou? spelling mountians absolutely bueatiful. the same area was due to be poisioned the following year to kill the possoms but as poision laced into carrots and dropped from planes/helis tends to wipe out a lot of the wildlife.
    i'm sure the brown trout season starts 1st oct as i missed it and i think duck season in the south is 1st march. i'm sure u'll love it its an amazing place. and my experience may not be the norm as the mates i was visting are fairly hardcore p*shheads.
    after i left 1 of the boys mates managed to shoot 2 sheep while lamping deer. u can't even begin to wonder how that is possible, and he was sober, so jist be very careful if on doc land. no dsc's over there

No DSC's another reason to get out ...lol

Ok I give up not going there again...

promise I'll be good maybe