Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MINCER whats wrong??

MINCER whats wrong??

My mincer a Hobart 22 has stopped mincing and is kind of Squelching the meat through, much of the meat is simply wrapping its self around the screw, is the knife blunt or something else??? its an old machine that I always thought was bomb proof, maybe not????

Make sure the whole mincer is screwed up tightly and assembled the correct way around - Plane of the cross shaped cutting blade sits flat against the bit with the holes in it - apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs - as you say they rarely have anything go wrong
    ​Ed

Sounds like one of 2 things mate:
    1. blade is not screwed in tight against the disc.
    2. Blade is blunt and needs sharpening or replacing.

Probably best just to treat it to a replacement blade and disc!
    MS.

As said above, I had the same problem with mine (not your make) and found all it needed was it needed tightening.
    Cheers
    Richard

Have found the same problem when trying to mince too much fat which is either warm and or wet. Now if I'm going mince a carcase I skin it and let it dry slightly for a day or so before mincing it. When added fatty pork I make sure it's as cold as possible. Or even been in the freezer for a little while. Seems to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Edchef View Post
    Make sure the [...] plane of the cross shaped cutting blade sits flat against the bit with the holes in it.
    +1. My money would be on you having put the blade in back to front - it's all too easy to do!

If you do change the blade make sure you also change the disc, keep them as matched pairs!

Quote Originally Posted by deer man View Post
    If you do change the blade make sure you also change the disc, keep them as matched pairs!
    really?....do they come as matched??

Thanks guys, its deffinately set up properly and as tight as I can get it, from your replies im tempted to go with a combination of soft meat and blunt knife. Had a bit of an afterthought though, sometime ago the mincer broke a kind of bakalite or similar type washer that fitted over the back end of the screw where it fits into the motor , I replaced it with a similar sized metal washer, have minced a fair bit since with few problems , but could be part of my problem????

Quote Originally Posted by 2130martin View Post
    really?....do they come as matched??
    They can be bought separately but each combination will wear differently. Some people even mark the non wear side to ensure consistacy.