Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping a muntjac or Roe

Keeping a muntjac or Roe

Are there any Legal Issues in taking and hand rearing a muntjac or roe deer from the wild.

Quote Originally Posted by steve109 View Post
    Are there any Legal Issues in taking and hand rearing a muntjac or roe deer from the wild.
    I know that there is a website that sell muntjac fawns in America as pets but then thats America .. im sure ive seen pics though of couples in England with muntjac orphans , although possibly how u come about being in possession of one of them could definitely be questionable
    Last edited by Evillemon; 26-05-2013 at 18:09.

you might need a licence from natural england, not sure about this but someone will no doubt be able to advise you on here!

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Firstly from a moral point of view why would you want too?
    Secondly from experience they are extremely difficult to raise unless they are only a day or two old.
    Thirdly, why would you want too?
    Finally from a legal point if it were to die (which they do--easily) it could be deemed as cruelty
    And why would you want too, I don't get it?
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

I keep mine either in the freezer or next to my chips, onion rings n veg. Other than that I haven't a clue.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    A lot has been written on Roe in captivity. They're just not good captive animals.
    The only ones that are any good in captivity tend to be does.
    The bucks, if human imprinted can be extremely dangerous. It is also highly recommended that they are kept away from human females when she (the human) is in season so to speak.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by steve109 View Post
    It looks like there are with Muntjac, which is in the top 10 of invasive non-native species on the NE list. Known outlaws they are.

Releasing non-native wildlife - GOV.UK
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steyer 6.5 View Post
    I keep mine either in the freezer or next to my chips, onion rings n veg. Other than that I haven't a clue.

hahhaha

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    It looks like there are with Muntjac, which is in the top 10 of invasive non-native species on the NE list. Known outlaws they are.

Releasing non-native wildlife - GOV.UK

I think it would be illegal to release it in the wild, but not to keep it in captivity.

Roe do not make good pets, when bucks get to about 10mths old they start to become a handfull. I know of muntjac and roe in captivity, but they need a big paddock. You would need a zoo license if you had them on display to the public, and although not listed under the dangerous animal Act 1976, your local trading standards may have different view.