Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any hints and tips?

Any hints and tips?

Hi all,

A friend and I are off to SA for the first time this September. We are both going after plains game, and were wondering if any of the more traveled stalkers on here had any pieces of advice? We have a kit list, etc just looking for anything you might recommend to take with us or advice for when we are out there from travelling process to hunting. Just the things really that you thought I wish i knew or brought that.

Cheers, Tom

get fit ,and dont take new boots , and take underwear that dosnt rub.

I was going to post a similar thread Tom!! We do indeed need to know what to take and what to try and bring back!!
    Any help would be much appreciated
    Aim Small, Miss Small

Hi Tom

Tick spray! ...if taking your own rifles copies of your license and passport. Kit... Just lightweight stalking trousers and a shirt is all I wore, sensible worn in comfortable stalking boots. A good fleece for early mornings and evenings it can be a bit chilly in September.

Have a great time....i

Linda

In terms of kit, don't over think it and don't try to prepare as if you're Stanley off to find Livingstone (the most common mistake that people make when going to SA). You can easily buy anything you might need there (often more cheaply than here). Over the years, I've narrowed things down so that the only real difference between what I take on a weekend stalking in Fife and what I take on a season's field work in SA is the layer of thermals!

But take multiple copies of all paperwork, and a set of passport photos is very handy. An unblocked cheap mobile phone is also extremely useful - just make sure you buy the SA sim card as you arrive at the aiport (they have a law that requires proof of residence, which is waived for tourists arriving at major aiports). Otherwise using your UK phone will be astonishingly expensive. Having said that, the 3G coverage is amazingly good - I have seen people suf the web on smart phones in the middle of the Kalahari, 350km from the nearest real town.

Hi Tom

keep it simple, don't take to much clothing as most of the outfitters offer a laundry service! Good walking shoes that is already worn in and won't give you blisters.
    Then bring enough ammo, as the wish list tend to get bigger as the hunt progress!!!
    Go see this link, very valuable info on here!!! http://www.africahunting.com/content/16-traveling-africa-130/

enjoy your hunt and shoot straight

Gerrit jv Vuuren PH & Outfitter
    Bos en Dal Safaris- South Africa
    gerrit@ehw.co.za
    Home - Bos en Dal Safaris

Quote Originally Posted by shotguntom View Post
    Hi all,

A friend and I are off to SA for the first time this September. We are both going after plains game, and were wondering if any of the more traveled stalkers on here had any pieces of advice? We have a kit list, etc just looking for anything you might recommend to take with us or advice for when we are out there from travelling process to hunting. Just the things really that you thought I wish i knew or brought that.

Cheers, Tom
    Forget the shorts, wear long trousers and thick long socks - as African Tick Borne Fever is not nice to bring back, as I did after a photo-safari in RSA.

Thanks all, some very useful tips and links. Will let you know how we get on.

​Tom

Be aware that every man and his dog, in the airport will be after a tip!!! We had a "fixer" meet us in Joburg, to help us clear customs with firearms, but still had to tip the official to smooth things out, even tho a large sign behind him said that corruption wouldn't be tolerated.
    Kev.

Quote Originally Posted by kevhumps View Post
    Be aware that every man and his dog, in the airport will be after a tip!!! We had a "fixer" meet us in Joburg, to help us clear customs with firearms, but still had to tip the official to smooth things out, even tho a large sign behind him said that corruption wouldn't be tolerated.
    Kev.
    Yes there Will be a few of them ready to carry your gear.