Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shooting deer out of season

Shooting deer out of season

Can deer be shot out of season because they are consuming game cover crop?

Not legally :p

You need an out of season license, from natural England I think - only ever known one person to get one

I thought there is a provision under the deer act that allows for damage but I don't think cover crop would come under it.

Hi
    This/last weeks Shooting Times did an article on the shooting of some Buzzards that were interfering with gamebirds on a shoot. Authorised as a case had been made.

BASC should be able to advise.

L

Quote Originally Posted by stalker.308 View Post
    There you go that's what I was going off. I believe and this is how I interpret it, all other methods of dispersal have failed, fencing is not an option and I personally would only take males plus I'd do it from high seat over looking the area getting damaged. I think you would be ok then. I still think game cover would a bit iffy. Once the damage stops I'd stop. Taking them till either damage starts again or season opens. Only my opinion.
    Last edited by Steyer 6.5; 27-05-2013 at 12:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Hi
    This/last weeks Shooting Times did an article on the shooting of some Buzzards that were interfering with gamebirds on a shoot. Authorised as a case had been made.

BASC should be able to advise.

L
    This isn't correct. It's an isolated case where NE granted permission to destroy eggs and/or nest ONLY.

It's caused a storm, and is unlikely to be repeated. Please get your facts right?

Natural England - Myth buster: Full details of buzzard nest control licence
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Remember that the deer act provides a defense for, not a right to, the shooting of deer out of season.

The act uses the wording

"
    a)
    he had reasonable grounds for believing that deer of the same species were causing, or had caused, damage to crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber or any other form of property on the land;

As Stayer says, the iffy bit would be using such a defense in relation to a game crop. We use an electric fence !!

I would suggest that 'any other form of property' would cover everything apart from 'crops, vegetables, fruit and growing timber.' Pretty broad exemptions for agriculture. I think an electric fence is a good solution, it is there 24 hrs a day!!

Thank you all for your input. I will report back once I have some feed back