Thread: Ammunition advice?

Ammunition advice?

I've only ever used Federal .243 "power shock" 100 grain whilst stalking roe & muntjac. My usual stockist in Wiltshire claims that due to the "American War Effort" the supply from Federal is sporadic. He suggested NORMA ammunition instead. Does anyone have any experience of using Norma - does it compare with the tried and tested Federal. Should I be bold and spend 31 on a box of 20?!

No. spend 18 on a box of remington 100gr core loc ultra bonded. They key hole out of my T3 varmint. Oh and they do a good job on deer.

Jonathon

in my opinion norma is worth every penny !!!! when i was using a tikka t3 hunter in 243 with norma 100gr soft points my zero was pin point accurate . 1/4 in zero every time .
    and i shot a hell of a lot of deer with it during the first 5 yrs of my stalking career , never had a missfire BUT they are a tad slower than federal . but i give accuracy over speed every time !

hope this helps

cheers lee

cheers lee

Federal Powershocks I have one box left and then never again
    jammed my rifle last year up at Malcs caused me no end of grief

They have had really big problems with load variations the guy who runs Garlands confirmed this last time we went up there also.

Thanks for the replies. I've been warned off Remington, I might "bight the bullet" and go for Norma. At least the gun shop will be able to get hold of them.

Does anyone know of a dealer who sells .243 Norma in Salibury, wilts are for under 31 a box?

Why not have a go at reloading, I am just starting on my quest for a press tomorrow at Midland Game Fair.
    Seems the way foward, cost less to buy a press than 100 Normas

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard666
    Does anyone know of a dealer who sells .243 Norma in Salibury, wilts are for under 31 a box?
    Try Greenfields. I was quoted 27 a box for Norma .243 100gr softpoints in Cirencester the other week, so you might be lucky. Expect to pay more for ballistic tips though.

BTW Norma get my vote every time. They may not be cheap but they are very consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard666
    Thanks for the replies. I've been warned off Remington, I might "bight the bullet" and go for Norma. At least the gun shop will be able to get hold of them.
    If you are only stalking, not a target man, try some PPU.
    I have been reloading for years but recently bought some PPU purely to get some cheap brass with the intention of using it for reloading but was so surprised at the results of PPU I am using it all the time now.