Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different bullet makes

Different bullet makes

Probably been asked loads but is it ok to presume that different makes of bullets will take the same loadings? If I have a load for 150gr hornady which is in the middle of the range will sierra perform about the same?

Not true, each bullet whilst similar may not give the same internal ballistics. Best to work up a load when switching brands just as you would if starting from scratch.
    Current battery, Air Arms TX200 MK3 .177, Hawke Vantage SF 3-12x40, Anschutz 1427B .22LR Sporterised Biathlon rifle, A-TEC wave mod Nikon 4.5-14x40, Tikka M595 .222Rem Leupold 6.5-20x40 LR. Howa 1500 APC .308win Varmint Nikko FFP 6-24x50 Wildcat Evo. Sauer 202 Classic XT .243Win Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50 Wildcat Evo.

Not what I wanted to hear but I guessed as much. Will have to spend more time at the range then!

If you do not alter the case volume it will not matter what weight bullet you use - of the same weight - if that makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by j0e_bl0ggs View Post
    If you do not alter the case volume it will not matter what weight bullet you use - of the same weight - if that makes sense...
    This is a dilemma I have as well - When you say 'don't alter the case volume' do you mean use the same make of cases?
    My problem is usually finding a published load with the Powder and bullet type that I have available . I try to buy the same make/type of bullet but they are not always available (and i) like to buy cheap FMJ's for practice)

What I'd do is load up one each of the Sierras at 2 grains below, 1 grain below and dead on your Hornady load. I'd fire them and check carefully for pressure signs. If I got no pressure signs then I'd load up 3 or 5 of the Sierras with your pet Hornady load and shoot them for a group. If the group was good then you've worked up the load in less than 10 rounds.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Even if the hornady load is in the middle of the range (43.5gr where top is 46gr) could there still be pressure signs with the same weight bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    Even if the hornady load is in the middle of the range (43.5gr where top is 46gr) could there still be pressure signs with the same weight bullet?
    I'd think it highly unlikely. On the other hand it only costs you a few rounds to back off a little and you've got to take responsibility for your own actions - if you believe an action is safe then take responsibility for that decision and act as you please. The good citizens of SD can't make that decision for you, nor can we be responsible for it.

If it is a 150 grain bullet from a 308 then I've seen max loads, from recognized reloading books, for the powder I'm using range from 44 to 49 grains so even the experts get very different results, in fact some published loads (again in recognised reloading manuals) have their minimum above the maximum published in another recognised reloading manual. Given this degree of variation it is possible that your "middle of the road" load might be above max in another reloading manual and it is difficult for you to be sure that none of the circumstances that resulted in it being decided that was a max load don't apply in your case.
    For self catering accommodation on the Isle of Lewis please visit:
    http://www.7south.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by big ears View Post
    Probably been asked loads but is it ok to presume that different makes of bullets will take the same loadings? If I have a load for 150gr hornady which is in the middle of the range will sierra perform about the same?
    Yes they will - if they are the same weight, and the distance from ogive to rifling is the same with each. The velocity will be much the same too.

Hornady, Sierra, and Speer make homogeneous products in standard soft point. Their reloading manuals carry one MIN to MAX load for several bullets of different styles of identical weight. You need to follow the book really, rather than rely on the web & other sources. if you play with Barnes copper jobs for instance it will be different.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edchef View Post
    This is a dilemma I have as well - When you say 'don't alter the case volume' do you mean use the same make of cases?
    My problem is usually finding a published load with the Powder and bullet type that I have available . I try to buy the same make/type of bullet but they are not always available (and i) like to buy cheap FMJ's for practice)
    This is really applicable to a 'MAX' load - so I'm hedging a little!
    Depending on how you 'work up' your load Full length sizing or neck sizing there will be a certain case volume available to your 'load'.
    Now if the volume left in the case after you have seated your bullet does not change there will be no difference in another bullet being used as long as it is the same weight.
    There is one caveat, it is important that you are not seating so close to the lands so that your 'different' bullet is jammed into them.

Now if you look at your reloading manuals for example Hornady's 8th edition or Lee's modern reloading you will see that Hornady will show loads in the 243 win ranging from 95 to 100gn with the same powder load.
    Important to note that the overall length is the same for the flat base and boat tail, this basically says same weight same seat depth same charge.
    Do note that you are supposed to work up to max but if you have found your accuracy node before max, well hey job done.
    Lee's book does not have much more to say than '100 grain jacketed bullet' [243 win] what you will see is on some of the higher pressure loads they seat the bullet out to the maximum over all length -2.710".

Basically as long as you do not change your seat depth to reduce the existing case volume things should be ok!
    Observe safe reloading practises and thoroughly read your reloading manuals, don't just skim them!

ATB