Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Swing Bladed Knives , Eka etc ..

Thoughts on Swing Bladed Knives , Eka etc ..

Hi All, Ive used all sorts of knives in the past, everything from Fixed bladed frost moras to lock bladed knives, i was watching a video of a chap using a swing bladed knife , not come across one of these before, it did a very neat job of unzipping the abdominal cavity , is it a gimmick , what are they like to sharpen ? is it one of those knives that you use once and put in a draw ! i did a search on the forum and there are a few thoughts out there, any one use and have this kind of knife in there kit and use it regularly ! Would be great to hear your thoughts .

Picked up one a couple of months ago and found it to be good quality and easy to use. The blade is one piece, which I think makes it solid when gralloching.

I found it a complete pain the rear to sharpen , a nice idea , but in practice I didn't like it much . And the knives not big enough in my opinion . Also a pain to clean .
    Very well made though! I got a helle fixed blade instead. And after 2 deer got the hang of using a proper knife just fine .

Hi CB

I used a a fixed blade knife for years and learned how to cover the tip to unzip the gut and all the other little knife craft tricks one picks up through experience and then I went out with a friend who was using an Eka swingblade - very impressed indeed. I used it on the next beast we dropped and I must say that it was fast, efficient and safe. It's good to go into the dishwasher as well so all the comments about cleaning seem to melt away. It holds an edge and with a sharpening rod the gut opener is easily sharpened. Perhaps the only disadvantage is the length of a the blade for bleeding the larger species but given that most things in life are a compromise in one form or another, it is a small one to make.

Hope that helps

FN

Are these fixed blades in the eyes of the law? ie regarded as a lock knife or sheath knife.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrimmick View Post
    Are these fixed blades in the eyes of the law? ie regarded as a lock knife or sheath knife.
    Why do you ask? If you are out stalking you have a purpose to be in possession then isn't that enough

Thanks chaps , I'll do a quick search but does anyone know what Sandvik 12C27 steel is , assuming stainless / surgical steel grade !?

Hi I've been using one for the last year bloody fantastic but as someone has said it's a bit of a tit to sharpen, I nearly cried when I had to grind it with a Dremil but now I keep on top of the sharpening it's spot on bazil

Quote Originally Posted by Glendine View Post
    Why do you ask? If you are out stalking you have a purpose to be in possession then isn't that enough

It is the fact that the grey area of travel to and from, or working off the farm carrying a knife. I normally carry a sheath knife or a locking blade, but have to be aware when leaving the estate.
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

It has the same status as a lock knife. You need a reasonable excuse to have one with you.