Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stalking knives I'm making

Stalking knives I'm making

A long long time ago, my mate Cookie offered to do a lot of wiring work on my new house, and by way of trade we bartered a deal where he would end up with a set of stalking knives.

I finished a set quite a while ago, but they didn't seem right, despite how much John liked them. I knew i could do him a better job, and use some better materials as well.

Here's the main blade in its blank form:

It's been like that for a while, made in 154CM stainless steel. And John fell in love with a piece of stabilised Canadian Yellow Birch to go on for the handles.

I've been fettling away at the handles this very afternoon, and here it is so far:

The scales reflect the sunshine magnificently when you move the handle around showing off some of the internal structure of the timber that just doesn't come through in the pics, but it catches the light and it comes out at different angles, sort of like the timber has fibre optic elements in it!

Took these yins indoors:

Still a small amount of work to do. I buffed it up after a bit of hand sanding to show me the bits I've missed, and the steel in the tang needs a bit of work as well. But I'm liking this one so far, and the timber smells gorgeous as i sand it.

It has a companion knife, a small grallocher/tripe knife, but that is deliberately minus scales.

​ More to follow as work progresses, thanks for popping in for a look.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

That is a beautiful looking knife. Seriously impressed.

Oh you bugger seriously nice !
    ​Norma

Very nice mate, you're getting good at this!

It's certainly looking very impressive Nick, glad we sat down and spent some time going through all those scales, looks like they have buffed up fantastically. Looking forward to seeing it in person and trying it out in the field!

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehopper View Post
    That is a beautiful looking knife. Seriously impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    Oh you bugger seriously nice !
    ​Norma
    Quote Originally Posted by Glyn 1 View Post
    Very nice mate, you're getting good at this!
    Thanks boys! Glad you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    It's certainly looking very impressive Nick, glad we sat down and spent some time going through all those scales, looks like they have buffed up fantastically. Looking forward to seeing it in person and trying it out in the field!

It is looking good mate, even if i do say so myself. That was time well speant drooling over my computer looking at so much beautiful timber that day! Think you scored a good'un here mate. Feels like silk in the hand, can see me using more of similar ilk in the future.

All the hard work is done, it's just procrastination over the final finish now!
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

Don't forget to know when to stop!

I've been chainsaw carving before now with the intention of making a life sized Grizzly or something only to end up with a Barn owl or mushroom because I didn't know when to stop!

Quote Originally Posted by Glyn 1 View Post
    Don't forget to know when to stop!

I've been chainsaw carving before now with the intention of making a life sized Grizzly or something only to end up with a Barn owl or mushroom because I didn't know when to stop!

Won't hurt it too much polishing at 800 grit mate!

At this rate you'll soon be a Pro. Nick. a cracking knife well done.
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Quote Originally Posted by digger9523 View Post
    Won't hurt it too much polishing at 800 grit mate!
    Fair one, it would take a while to polish a Bear into an Owl!