Outstanding - Jelen

seprim

Hi
Just thought I would put a word in for the team at Jelen Deer.
I did my DSC1 this weekend with them in Stockbridge and I would like to thank Norman and Malcom and his missus (I'm afraid I have forgotten her name) and the range guys for making me feel welcome, imparting a whole lot of knowledge about deer, which made me feel much more confident about the tests and for running a top class course. The facilities were excellent, the staff were all friendly and kind to us "trainees" and super helpful taking extra time for any individual needs.
If you have a desire to do DSC1 you would be very hard pushed to beat the Jelen team ;)
Thanks for a cracking weekend !

Andrew

PS I find out if I did my part in three weeks (ish)

Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for your kind words. It was good - as always - to meet new people, and especially encouraging to hear the words of another satisfied DSC1 delegate.

I am sure you'll have your DSC1 certificate in a couple of weeks or so.

Regards,

Mike.

Mike Allison
(Managing Director - Jelen Deer Services)

Jelen Deer Home

Last edited:
I can only echo those sentiments Andrew. Heather was the lady's name and very knowledgeable too. Great facilities, and great team, I said so in my feedback form too! Can heartily recommend this outfit.

Nigel

How long is the course? The site seems to suggest one day, but you said you had a "...cracking weekend..."?

How long is the course? The site seems to suggest one day, but you said you had a "...cracking weekend..."?
The DSC1 course was friday evening, Saturday all day, then sunday was the test day, ending approximately 3pm
The Saturday included practice on the range - which helped most people settle nerves.
Cant speak highly enough of the team at Jelen - they really did a cracking job.
​Andrew

Why don't you give them a call on Tel: 01264 811155 - but do check their web site out first Jelen Deer Home.
I found Jelen from a superb deer skinning video made by Mike Allison - the best skinning video i have seen on youtube bar none here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO2CFoFGaVE

regards

​Andrew

Agreed I learned more from watching this video than any other and my skinning improved no end from watching it, brilliant tutorial.

​Damian.

Well it's now been 5 weeks since we did this course, and we're still waiting for the results !

I'm struggling to understand why it takes so long to mark a dozen test papers. Jelen gave us 4 mock tests, and they gave us back the results within hours. As I understand it, there are several exam papers, of which one gets chosen at random, so no one knows what series of questions will be asked. If there are set papers, surely there are templates for the answers, so marking should be quick, and simple ?

Apparently it's all done by one person...who then passes them to another for a second mark. I was told she currently had a pile 1.5m high to get through.....Being summer who knows what will happen when she goes on holiday.

PITA really as it could all be turned around in two weeks. Time to employ a temp methinks, seems unfair to pile it all on one person.

Come on guys - 1.5 metre stack? At least put a smiley emoticon after something like that. ;)

Ok we're a DSC training/assessment provider - so bound to be supportive. Hopefully those that know us will appreciate flannel isnt our strong point! :D

DSC results returns can be variable. Assessments run countrywide - the day you sat yours at Jelen a good number of others across the Country will have sat theirs. The Assessor has to process his elements, then forward the papers.

These are then collated and go through a number of checks and verification - all to support the integrity of the scheme ( any commentary on that element, which has been done to death many times before, will remain as boring as before - and thats just referring to my 8 page replies! :D ) Then papers/badges etc get issued.

There can be variations in the wait - very frustrating for those waiting the results.

Mary gets a good deal of bad press. I deal with her regularly - obviously on a professional front and read this as sucking up if you will; but she must be one of the most under appreciated people in the UK shooting world. She does what she does and does it better than we tend to deserve collectively.

Why not give results on the day and end the misery? That was done in the past and humans being what they are mistakes occurred. Some of those resulted in an 'Ok, that's irritating' and a number in protracted complaints and appeals. So this system was applied to protect all sides.

PS - Mary never takes a holiday - Marford Mill is like being on the beach in Brighton every day! :D

We went through the deer ID pictures whilst we we were there, took a few minutes. The same could have been done with the rest of the questions, not marking them, just being given the answers so people know if they've passed or failed. I know others have mentioned this was done on their course. Like most, it would just be nice to know how you've done, the certificate can wait, should you have passed !

I phoned BASC last week and was told that the man with the final say on the marks was away working for three weeks, so this is been the principal cause of the delay. Not impressed with BASC really.

I apologise if some people find it frustrating that they have to wait for their certificates. The DMQ system was set up by the sector for the sector, to provide a robust and effective mechanism for demonstrating competence. The system relies on dedicated volunteers, IV’s, Assessors and EV’s who are not necessarily employed by BASC and are not based on site.

Assessment materials have to be sent to BASC for processing and then sent to IV’s for verifying; these then need to be returned to BASC and then sent to DMQ for certificating. At any stage there can be delays. DMQ states that the assessment process should be no longer than 8 weeks and the IV process no longer than 6 weeks.

BASC strives to exceed these requirements from DMQ, and unless there are issues with the assessment materials, this is the case.
There is an unprecedented amount of workload coming through the assessment centre at the present time; particularly completed level 2 portfolios, which all takes time to process.

Mary is being given extensive assistance by two other administrators during this period and certification times are beginning to reduce.

PS - I can physically see the workload on Mary's desk, and I can assure everyone that it is not 1.5m, more like several packages. Nick Lane was away from the office on work duties for 5 days and not on holiday for 3 weeks

Last edited:
It's a real plus point for this site and the BASC that when this issue was raised BASC have picked up the issue and responded to it very effectively.

Thanks.

It's a real plus point for this site and the BASC that when this issue was raised BASC have picked up the issue and responded to it very effectively.

Thanks.

I think it should be pointed out that Dr Peter Marshall is also a Director of "Deer Management Qualifications" (DMQ), and wearing two hats here ! And whilst the "system" may depend on volunteers, it's very much run as a business.

Back