indy and her baying

mereside

indy has come on really well over the last month and i think she is finally settling down she has been speaking on command and now has lots of confidence. went to mow the grass tonight and she started to bay the mower i put her onto a roe a few months back and she ran around it but wasnt confident to bark but i feel this will happen next time ,atb wayne

Nice looking bitch there Wayne, agree with your theory that she might well bay a deer next time around.

Look forward to seeing her development.

Regards

BP

widu the roe was heart shot and it ran towards us although it was in a gully and we were above. the roe was about to drop when i let her go in as i was sure it would not harm her she got to it as it was still kicking and she ran round jumping back and forth she circled the roe jumping back and forth but didnt bark ,when i got down the bank to them i started to move the now dead dear around to get her exited and she did then give little barks but nothing much she got lots of praise. after using a deer head in the garden she has really come out of her shell so to speak and things have clicked into place , she is focused on stalking and tracking. she seems very steady with deer but one question as she has taken a liking to rabits now i have not let her chase them but if they were as close as those hinds in the other footage i dont think i would have stopped her. any tips on controlling this, as you may have guessed i am new to training so all help greatly recieved and i feel we have come along way ,every day is a learning day for me atb wayne

Hi Wayne.
The Rabbit thing is bad for any dog but especially in a tracking situation, my advise is to firmly show her that Rabbit it is not allowed, or it becomes even more difficult if the dog is allowed to continue with this sweet smelling nuisance when you have to track over an area that has a high Rabbit population.
Always tell her no every time she shows any interest in them anywhere but be sure she can see the scolding is linked with Rabbits also.

​ Regards Widu.

Thanks Widu i will continue to discourage the rabbits I only have them on one piece of ground and it is sinking in with her , think i need to put in a few nights getting rid of the little buggers so they are not a distraction, atb wayne.

Wayne,
you could try taking her into a rabbit pen, you must have a good Gundog trainer near you who has one.
That may help.

​tony

Tony i did ask about a rabbit pen but was told to stay clear of rabits at all costs with the bmh thats why i put it in that post to see if any better suggestions came up . she is now steady on birds as going foxing and stalking around the free range chicken pens has stopped an interest in those. The other night we stalked right past a pheasant in cover and was no more than three feet away when it flew up and she didnt bat an eyelid so do really wonder if a rabbit pen is the way forward. after all this hard work i really dont want to ruin her ,atb wayne

Can't see a rabbit pen will do any harm, you will be with her telling her that rabbits are a no no, it works for all other dogs, you have control and rabbits on demand.
Be interested to see what happens
keep us informed

​tony

I would not put a BMH in a rabbit pen myself. They can be very hard headed and you may end up having issues later, but that is just my opinion.

I would just keep on training as you are and put the lead on and if at anytime she goes for a rabbit a strong tug to pull her back on the lead and a no would be the way to go. Todd still favours rabbits but does not chase them or go after them, but he often looks at me with the............... can I eyes.............and its no everytime. Squirrels can also be a problem as well :rolleyes:

Good luck

Malc thats what worried me i think i will just keep her away from them as much as possible and keep the correction going if we come across one, i am too worried with the pen idea and fear ruining her, thanks for everyones input wayne

If she is going to go for one in a pen while you are there giving the command no then she will not listen to you out in the open. Rabbits have been a no no for all my dogs .If you ever worked terriers to fox then you would understand why. It might not look pretty but Ria got the rounded end of a stick when she even looks at a rabbit or sniffs its trail at a very young age. Good luck but if you can get a wild one that is restricted then in my opinion use it to the full.

If she is going to go for one in a pen while you are there giving the command no then she will not listen to you out in the open. Rabbits have been a no no for all my dogs .If you ever worked terriers to fox then you would understand why. It might not look pretty but Ria got the rounded end of a stick when she even looks at a rabbit or sniffs its trail at a very young age. Good luck but if you can get a wild one that is restricted then in my opinion use it to the full.

could not agree more.

Back