Thread: dsc level 1

dsc level 1

hi there going to do my level 1 at the barony in June. any tips will be very much appreciated

Read the course book and don't take anything you think you may know for granted, prepare well and you'll do just fine. Have a few practise sessions at the shooting test format before the course this will fill you with confidence and you should be more relaxed and therefore shoot better when asked.

Get the bds disc and go through the questions again and again till you are getting high scores,like photopro says practice your shooting, also go on internet for any more information you can get.Good luck.
    ​Atb John.

+1 to what has been said, but relax and enjoy it you will learn more and shoot better. Its fun not a chore

All of the above. In addition work hard on the safety questions. Most are common sense, but there are a lot of key points in some of them and you must cover every key point in your answer or you'll fail. (Safety section must be 100%). I found the best way to remember every detail was to write the answers out long hand and in my own words. It was easier to remember my own voice, as it were, than a block of printed text.

Similarly, writing out open season dates in my own hand somehow made them easier to remember than a printed table of figures. Especially Scottish seasons. I preferred to write out the open season dates. The BDS book gave the close seasons.

I learnt the safety questions by reading them onto my MP3 player and repeatedly listening to them at work and then getting the Mrs to test me. With the shooting I found it very beneficial to do lots of dry firing practice to develop comfortable movement free positions and also used 1/4 scale targets at 25 yards with my .22 rimfire. With the theory questions I was enrolled on the now defunct BDS Lantra online course which had an interactive test facility, this gave a score out of 10 so I simply used the BDS manual to enhance my knowledge to get the right answers. Good luck. atb Tim

hi mate, drop me a pm with your email address and I'll send you over all the reading and deer ID files in an attachment with my mobile number if you want a chat. The reading and deer ID will keep you busy! cheers

p

Quote Originally Posted by photopro View Post
    Read the course book and don't take anything you think you may know for granted, prepare well and you'll do just fine. Have a few practise sessions at the shooting test format before the course this will fill you with confidence and you should be more relaxed and therefore shoot better when asked.
    +1
    Also, if you have sticks - practice with them. Practice your principles of marksmanship and do some stretching. Yes stretching - it helps get into the sitting/kneeling position on the shooting test (something I and a few others on my recent test found affected our shooting confidence as we had suffered form bad backs in the past)
    You will do fine if you prepare
    ​Andrew