Thread: Little crack

Little crack

My ruger 243 has developed a small crack along the grain on the fore grip of the rifle. It's only about an inch in length on the very end on a floating barrel but obviously don't want to see it grow. Any idea if there is a bonding product to stop the crack. Not sure if it will affect the accuracy or perhaps start looking at replacing the stock. Anyone with experience of this type of damage please give me a bit of feed back. Cheers.

Go to a model shop and get thin superglue, allow to run in the crack. Then clamp for 24 hrs !

I had this happen on a shotgun fore end a couple of years ago. I was told to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it getting any longer then glue the crack with a very small amount of 2 part epoxy and clamp it for 24 hours ensuring any excess is wiped off. I also glued a piece of dowel of the correct size in the hole I'd drilled then stained and oiled it. Once I'd done the repair some one told me that stock oil and glue don't mix but the crack didn't re opened or get any longer.

Rick

Timber splits it does not crack...
    Too Old Soon Too Late Smart

go to the pound shop get some of their superglue believe you get 4 tubes for a pound comes with very small dia applicators its very runny, drill beginning end and middle of crack with very fine drill, apply glue and clamp its what i call chemically pinning

greenshoots

Quote Originally Posted by night stalker View Post
    I had this happen on a shotgun fore end a couple of years ago. I was told to drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it getting any longer then glue the crack with a very small amount of 2 part epoxy and clamp it for 24 hours ensuring any excess is wiped off. I also glued a piece of dowel of the correct size in the hole I'd drilled then stained and oiled it. Once I'd done the repair some one told me that stock oil and glue don't mix but the crack didn't re opened or get any longer.

Rick
    A good two part epoxy will be a strong solution, you can use a heat gun to work the epoxy deeper into the split.

Quote Originally Posted by patjack View Post
    Timber splits it does not crack...
    Splits with the grain, cracks across it I was told ?

Neil.