Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How bullets Kill

How bullets Kill

This might be an interesting link to have a look at for all deer stalkers. Quite often people post videos, and the deer runs after a perfect shot. I have tried to answer this question in the past and had mixed reactions , so here is the link.

Gary

http://bogveidi.net/index.php/fraedhigreinar/132-ahrif-a-qshock-effect-a-dyrq

Thanks, that's quite an interesting read. I'm quite interested in the physiological effects of bullets. Especially the 'shock wave' element of it.
    The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog.

Quote Originally Posted by gary View Post
    This might be an interesting link to have a look at for all deer stalkers. Quite often people post videos, and the deer runs after a perfect shot. I have tried to answer this question in the past and had mixed reactions , so here is the link.

Gary

http://bogveidi.net/index.php/fraedhigreinar/132-ahrif-a-qshock-effect-a-dyrq
    SNH use a guy who was a forensic scientist for the scottish police force knows all the bits and pieces ,that shows the full thing from leaving the end of the barrel to hitting ballistic gel wound channels for different types of ammo etc interesting for those that have a interest in more than just pulling the trigger ,and hoping the beast will fall over .

I was refering to this in another thread the other day. It is the first time I have read that extract and notice that the stuff I have previously read was in the references at the bottom. The knock out effect is very interesting where it is believed to be a massive rush of blood to the head that knocks the animal out.

Quote Originally Posted by redandroe View Post
    I was refering to this in another thread the other day. It is the first time I have read that extract and notice that the stuff I have previously read was in the references at the bottom. The knock out effect is very interesting where it is believed to be a massive rush of blood to the head that knocks the animal out.
    Surely it is the sudden loss of blood pressure that causes unconsciousness.

if someone clocks you with a haymaker on the chin and catches your vagus nerve you will drop on the spot!

Why would a bullet passing within 6" of the spine be any different?

Shock is a killer as well as a force powerful enough to incapacitate through CNS disruption
    I don't buy the massive rush of blood to the head or loss of blood causing instant unconsciousness

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    if someone clocks you with a haymaker on the chin and catches your vagus nerve you will drop on the spot!

Why would a bullet passing within 6" of the spine be any different?

Shock is a killer as well as a force powerful enough to incapacitate through CNS disruption
    I don't buy the massive rush of blood to the head or loss of blood causing instant unconsciousness
    So in either scenario would you be unconscious or incapacitated.

depends on the bullet and placement. if it's a calibre and bullet construction + speed that creates a lot of shock via a very large temporary wound tract, chances are a small deer will die instantly of shock as long as it penetrates to the vitals...likewise, if that bullet is a solid barnes that passes through with a smaller wound tract, chances are it might run and die from blood loss.

a head shot will kill it instantly no matter what if placed right, so 'may' a neck shot in many cases, and a spine shot is more likely to leave it conscious but immobile whilst it bleeds out having taken the top of the lungs out.

but these things change from time to time, you can shoot a roe with a barnes solid with a big slow calibre and have it go straight down dead on the spot,,did it die from blood loss or shock?...maybe shock,,had it been a .223 with a 60g partition, it might have passed through swiftly and died from blood loss since it's such a light bullet and not potentially expanding to create the shock effect, in that case, probably blood loss with a 'bit' of shock due to the speed of the .223.

I suppose if my theory is correct, which it probably is not, then the worst thing is a middle of the road calibre with a slow-ish moving high integrity bullet...therefore, a 6.5x47L or 6.5x55 with a 120g to 140 barnes triple shock should be the worst thing you can use as it does not have high speed explosive impacts nor big heavy OOOMPH impacts....but,,they 'do' knock deer over dead,,which leaves us nowhere!
    “One does not hunt in order to kill; one kills in order to have hunted.” - Jose Ortega y Gasset

Shabz link above is far more authoritative, and less confusing.

There is a lot of confusion about terminology and definitions here, as well as the physiological causes of death.

Medical Shock = blood loss or loss of pump action (heart) -----> loss of blood pressure -----> death ultimately due to no perfusion and no oxygen reaching the organs unless shock halted and reversed before the point of no return. This is caused by the bullet's physical wound channel through large vessels or the heart usually, in which case it will be a rapid process. Hit smaller vessels or blood-laden organs such as spleen or liver----> slower onset of shock and death.

Hit CNS with bullet - usually instant brain death and motor collapse, followed by cardio respiratory death due to loss of neural drive of respiration.

No man or no animal ever died from the "shock" of the sound wave of a bullet.

The pressure wave of impact and passage through the target causes a large elastic and temporary wound channel in addition to the physical wound channel bored out by the bullet itself.
    Last edited by lotuseater; 28-05-2013 at 12:12.