Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 50

Thread: springwatch. is there a glimer of hope

  1. #1

    springwatch. is there a glimer of hope

    I normally watch springwatch for the unusual / rare behaviour that is sometimes shown that unless youve got hourrs to study wildlife you wouldnt see but get thoruoghly frustrated about the lack of realism when it comes to why certain species are in decline and the avoidance of the need for predator control and the wagging of fingers at farmers as they all clearly destroy our fine country and know nothing of how to look after it. But this evening on several occasions corvids and stoats weasels etc were mentioned as a threat to some of our rarer birds. Is this the start of the revolution and an awakening to see what an important part our sport and stewardship has in the countryside or will i be left screaming at the telly once again pleading with them to get a grip.

    Your thoughts please

    Regards pete

  2. #2
    Can't watch it anymore mate. That Cwis Pack 'em does me noggin in!

  3. #3
    I had a choice, watch spring watch or go foxing. I didn't see spring watch.

    One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

  4. #4
    Cant argue with that. Would of been stalking but had no reply from land owner.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by neil_r View Post
    I had a choice, watch spring watch or go foxing. I didn't see spring watch.
    I made the same choice and didn't see a fox either .
    Better to have failed again than to have lifted someones leg

  6. #6
    I had a lie in this morning, as we were out with the lamp last night, ( with success), I commented to Mrs Finnbear... "must be a slow news day dear!", I had just had the two veggies, Kwis & Mick, serve me up around a quarter hour of springwatch, so will be able to go foxing again tonight , snug in the knowledge I didn't miss it.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by pj1 View Post
    I normally watch springwatch for the unusual / rare behaviour that is sometimes shown that unless youve got hourrs to study wildlife you wouldnt see but get thoruoghly frustrated about the lack of realism when it comes to why certain species are in decline and the avoidance of the need for predator control and the wagging of fingers at farmers as they all clearly destroy our fine country and know nothing of how to look after it. But this evening on several occasions corvids and stoats weasels etc were mentioned as a threat to some of our rarer birds. Is this the start of the revolution and an awakening to see what an important part our sport and stewardship has in the countryside or will i be left screaming at the telly once again pleading with them to get a grip.

    Your thoughts please

    Regards pete

    +1 as lets be honest even witha pair of 12X50 Leica's you can't see into a nest box.

    As for accepting the true impact of mustalid and corvid predation on our Song Bird population I just can’t see any one of those BBC Presenters openly sanctioning their control by means of trap and/or firearm. Far more likely they’d put their weight behind some half-cocked scheme to introduce another alien species that might in turn prey on said vermin.

    For my money the most significant threat remains the domestic cat but should Spring Watch wish to champion a £1 bounty on every squirrel and Jay I might present at the counter of my local Post Office they can have my vote.

    Cheers

    K

  8. #8
    Sorry, but I think some of the comments above are unfair on Packham - he's gone on record many times as being in support of deer culling, has repeatedly spoken out in favour of farmers and sticks very much to a science based approach to nature - of all the 'TV Naturalists' I think he has the most realistic outlook on the environment, far from being a fluffy bunny hugger.

  9. #9
    SD Regular teyhan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Posts
    2,330
    Blog Entries
    1
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by Klenchblaize View Post
    For my money the most significant threat remains the domestic cat,
    Bloody things should be shot on sight
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Labrat View Post
    Sorry, but I think some of the comments above are unfair on Packham - he's gone on record many times as being in support of deer culling, has repeatedly spoken out in favour of farmers and sticks very much to a science based approach to nature - of all the 'TV Naturalists' I think he has the most realistic outlook on the environment, far from being a fluffy bunny hugger.


    Maybe I missed his supportive views somewhere's.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Similar Threads

  1. OOne of many I hope
    By weeman in forum Photos
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-01-2013, 06:06
  2. hope this works
    By cowsmart in forum Jokes & Funnies
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-01-2013, 10:15
  3. i hope next years a better one.
    By bobjs in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 21-09-2012, 22:45
  4. Springwatch
    By sako85 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-06-2010, 17:04
  5. Hope this worked!
    By JH83 in forum Photos
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 21:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •