Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fox on your side

fox on your side

Been doing some thinking (unusual, I know).

It ocurred to me that if you've been asked to control a rabbit population, your interests and those of the local foxes coincide.

So if there were no pressing reasons to shoot the foxes (no lambs, pheasants or chickens), then it actually seems like a relatively good idea to leave them alone.

Thoughts?

no shoot them and help someone else out

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Fox don't respect fencelines/boundaries, or what livestock is present.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

I shot 3 on a chicken farm last night, you can bet they don't all live there?

One day I want to be as wonderful as my dogs think i am .....

I get paid to control rabbits on various bits of land but get the owners to agree to fox removal as it benefits the whole spectrum of wildlife and more importantly the
    first rule of business is remove the competition

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Been doing some thinking (unusual, I know).

It ocurred to me that if you've been asked to control a rabbit population, your interests and those of the local foxes coincide.

So if there were no pressing reasons to shoot the foxes (no lambs, pheasants or chickens), then it actually seems like a relatively good idea to leave them alone.

Thoughts?
    You forgot cows. Foxes spread neosporosis which causes abortion in cattle.

One issue is that foxes dont only eat rabbits.

However, more importantly, if you want to leave foxes then that is fine but dont expect them to do much for your rabbit culling. Rabbits breed like, well rabbits. Foxes on the other hand have 1 litter of 4-6 cubs per year usually. so whilst your rabbit population is capable of virtual exponential increase your fox population will be lagging a long way behind. Therefore your farmer will be mighty pissed off until the foxes catch up. So my conclusion is do what you like with the foxes cos you will still have to shoot as many rabbits as you ever did if you want your farmer to be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingduckdog View Post
    so whilst your rabbit population is capable of virtual exponential increase your fox population will be lagging a long way behind.
    True - in absolute numbers terms. But each fox will be eating more than one rabbit a year...

It's only some idle speculation about predator-prey relationships. Clearly not really a good idea on farm land with neighbours. But suburban golf courses? I think an experiment is in order... who wants to provide me with a minimum of 12 golf courses upon which to conduct a randomised trial?

I shoot the foxes on the ground I have been asked to control rabbit numbers on the basis that I want to shoot rabbits
    not find out in 6 months that rabbit numbers are now under control by the mangy foxes and have to come back in 6m further down the line to shoot foxes!

shoot them all now then you are in control!!

plus...I like shooting foxes!

I have plenty of rabbits on the land I shoot, No livestock and very few Foxes, they hang out a few fields away where the rearing pens are presumably?
    "First impressions are as good as any others" Albert Pierrepoint 1905 - 1992