Thread: BP?

BP?

Is it allowed to hunt with BP in the UK?

Any particular hoops to jump thru before you can purchase BP? When I got my powder license in Germany I was licensed to load cartridges with smokeless and muzzleloaders with BP. On the license it explicity stated I was not allowed to load BP in a cartridge; obvious case of lawmakers/Gov officials not understanding the laws/regulations they write...

SS

BP

Hi,used black powder in 8bore wildfowling guns,never liked it to slow nitro is far easier to control.Possible to slow in a rifle.

What is the velocity requirement? Is there a minimum in joules or foot/pounds? Although the 450gr, 50 caliber bullets from my 50-70 are leaving the muzzle at only between 1250 and 1275 fps they reach the target (within reasonable open sight ranges) with significant energy.

SS

England and Wales

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.
    For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .240 and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.
    Northern Ireland

For Muntjac and Chinese Water deer only- a rifle with a minimum calibre of not less than .220 inches and muzzle energy of not less than 1000 foot pounds and a bullet weight of not less than 50 grains may be used.
    For all deer of any species - a minimum calibre of .236 inches, a minimum bullet weight of 100 grains and minimum muzzle energy of 1,700 foot pounds is the legal requirement.
    Scotland

For roe deer, where the bullet must weigh at least 50 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,000 foot pounds may be used.
    For all deer of any species - the bullet must weigh at least 100 grains AND have a minimum muzzle velocity of 2,450 feet per second AND a minimum muzzle energy of 1,750 foot pounds.
    It must be stressed that all these figures are the minimum legal requirement.
    For all deer stalking the bullet must be of a type designed to expand/deform on impact.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Looks like the 50-70 with BP could be used anywhere save Scotland since it has over 1,900 Foot/pounds. Do doubt however the soft lead bullet would expand/deform much unless a heavy bone was struck. I'll try to find a photo of the bullet used to take an American bison, broke a rib going in and one going out and still retained over 91% of its weight.

What about using a muzzleloader, is it allowed in some variation of a primitve weapon hunt?

SS

IFAIK the legal requirements are only as stated above. There are no special seasons for different types of weapons in the UK, only general close/open seasons for individual species. What would probably prevent UK FAC (firearms certificate) holders from hunting with a BP rifle would be their regional police firearms department's (un)willingness to grant an authority to posses for that purpose and the conditions for use consequently specified on the certificate.

Winged game is shot in the UK with smooth-bore BP guns, but these are held on a different certificate (SGC), the application for which does not require the prospective user to specify the purpose for which he intends to use them.

Is a license required to buy and store BP?

SS

yes, the license covers buying, storing and transporting

you can hunt with bp muzzle loader but it is frowned upon due to speed of a follow up shot if needed ?
    I have used bp muzzle loading shotguns to hunt pigeons wakes people up with the rolling boom
    ​cheers lister