Thread: British Airways

British Airways

If anybody has a transfer from Joburg or Cape Town via BA please be aware they no longer carry any firearms. Not sure what their policy is from UK to SA as I no longer bother with them but in SA it is clear from 1st March - NO firearms. American client just had a refusal from PE to Joburg and had to travel on SAA. His flight was booked by an agent in the US who had no idea of the policy change. They were adamant they would not carry the firearms.

Another example of us being shafted again by our own country, makes you proud!!

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Safari Hunter View Post
    If anybody has a transfer from Joburg or Cape Town via BA please be aware they no longer carry any firearms. Not sure what their policy is from UK to SA as I no longer bother with them but in SA it is clear from 1st March - NO firearms. American client just had a refusal from PE to Joburg and had to travel on SAA. His flight was booked by an agent in the US who had no idea of the policy change. They were adamant they would not carry the firearms.

Another example of us being shafted again by our own country, makes you proud!!

Adrian
    Adrian,

This has been policy for many a year. The problem isn't political but one of security. The only internal SA company is now SAA and they are now passing on the cost of the additional cost to the passenger. Rightly so, this "luggage" has additional costs associated with it.

​Stan

It seems to me one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing over there as I travelled on BA from Joburg to Kimberley in 2011 with a rifle. Got charged though but no sense of any negativity. I haven't seen it yet but they have supposedly published the no firearm policy.

Adrian

The other thing is that British Airway South Africa isn't the same as British Airways.....

​Franchise branding.

Stan

Adrian,

Just remembered that ALL the internal low cost carriers dropped firearms as well because of the cost of security handling at both ends. All that was/is left is SAA.

​Stan

Yes I know, Kulula and Mango (or something like that) did it about 6 years ago. The security down there is a joke, my rifle came out on a conveyor once!!

Adrian

Quote Originally Posted by Safari Hunter View Post
    If anybody has a transfer from Joburg or Cape Town via BA please be aware they no longer carry any firearms. Not sure what their policy is from UK to SA as I no longer bother with them but in SA it is clear from 1st March - NO firearms. American client just had a refusal from PE to Joburg
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...-March-31-2013

this is was from PHASA

good luck to all who still need to make travel arrangements.

Gerrit jv Vuuren PH & Outfitter
    Bos en Dal Safaris- South Africa
    gerrit@ehw.co.za
    Home - Bos en Dal Safaris