Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fixing a Gun Cabinet to Wall

Fixing a Gun Cabinet to Wall

Dear All

Looking for some advice on the above topic.

I am currently in the process of moving house to a 7 year old house.

Today I tried to fix my new cabinet to an external wall with rawl bolts, the expanding sleeve type.

Basically the blocks the walls are made of cannot grip the bolts properly causing them to turn in the holes when I tighten the bolt.

When I did manage to tighten one it caused the block work to crumble!

Does anyone have any experience or advice on ways to fix the cabinet?

The wall is plasterboard with the actual wall about a half inch behind. The wall seems to be made of soft block work, I didn't need hammer mode to drill through.

Could try resin anchors?

These are good:http://www.rapidtoolsdirect.co.uk/ca...asonry-fixings
    available at all good builders merchants......try the M12 x 100

Resin bolts or, if you have the front to present it to your FEO (as previously posted on here by someone I don't recall)

VELCRO

​Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Buckaroo8 View Post
    These are good:http://www.rapidtoolsdirect.co.uk/ca...asonry-fixings
    available at all good builders merchants......try the M12 x 100
    +1 on these.We use them all the time for fencing work and are rock solid but the ones we buy are called 'thunderbolt'. Alternatively you may have just drilled into the mortar between the blocks. Sometimes its right soft sh**e.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisWill184 View Post
    +1 on these.We use them all the time for fencing work and are rock solid but the ones we buy are called 'thunderbolt'. Alternatively you may have just drilled into the mortar between the blocks. Sometimes its right soft sh**e.
    Thunderbolts....that's the ones. If the concrete block is crumbly use longer fixings and drill a smaller diameter hole. Chances are it's probably min 4" block so by the time you're through the plasterboard etc the 100mm fixings should be in about 75mm deep and that should be plenty. Drill holes a bit deeper than the length of the fixings.
    Good luck

if your floor is soild, raw bolt it to the floor, and maybe just long screews, or coach bolts with wall plugs.As long as your cabinet is frim, with no movement it should be fine, even with raw bolts in the past cabinets have still been ripped of the wall. you could always bolt/ fix it in place and ask your flo to do a check on it
    atb
    simon

through bolt, then plaster over outside , not as bigger job as you might think

What ever drill size it recommends use one that is roughly 2mm smaller that will allow the fixing to grip.
    Drill smaller at all times as it's easier to make bigger than worry about makin it smaller.

It sounds like thermolite block work to me feels like polystyrene to the hand feels, again drill slowly and smaller drill bits.
    Or marginally open up the brackets before placing in the wall allowing to grip.