Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scope for a .17hmr

scope for a .17hmr

hi there,
    just looking for a suitible scope to put on my .17hmr, not sure weather to go fixed or vari, most of the time im shotting 130 yards max.
    needs to be good in poor/low light to, not sure if mill dots is the way to go.
    my budget is low, around 300-400 max
    so all throughts are welcome,
    many thanks for your help
    simon

Leupold Vxr, or save yourself 200 and get a hawke panorama EV 4-12x50

i have an older hawke nite eye 4-12x50, its ok but on the longer ranges its not to clear

Quote Originally Posted by simon1979 View Post
    i have an older hawke nite eye 4-12x50, its ok but on the longer ranges its not to clear
    Nite eyes are a budget scope, the panorama and endurance range of scopes are excellent in low light.

On a budget, I recommend the Nikko Stirling Platinum Nighteater 8x56 I.R. Mil Dot for a r/f rifle. They are around 110 new, I have had one on my .17HMR for years., it does the job fine.

However I wouldn't want one on my CF rifle, and if you can stretch to say 300 you will be netter off with a second hand S&B fixed 8x56 as it can be moved from your r/f to your CF rifle and it will last you forever.

I don't think you need vari power on an HMR. I've had them on mine and they never move off the optimum mag for the lens size. Light gathering is more important.
    I'd go for a S/H S&B 8 X 56 or a Meopta or similar. Simple, quality glass. No need for mildot, just get a nice fine plex reticle. Avoid central dot reticles. They're not so good for rabbit shooting. Nothing wrong with Leupold either. But again, if it was me I'd stick with fixed power and a big bright lens. I had a Hawke on mine once which I thought it was fine till I changed it for a Meopta. Dramatic improvement in low light.
    Last edited by Finch; 28-05-2013 at 22:00.

SD Regular
    Simon

I've got a nice Zeiss Duralyt 3-12x50 that would fit into your budget quite nicely that's sat doing nothing at the moment - and would do the job on that rifle very nicely too. Feel free to drop me a PM.
    In general, higher quality second hand glass is the way forward over new cheaper glass - but if you want to go that route, for the ranges you're shooting the MTC's are pretty good.

E t R
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

thanks for the info, as always its a great help, what are hawke like on center rifles,
    many thanks
    simon

thanks for the info, as always its a great help, what are hawke like on center rifles,
    many thanks
    simon
    I had a hawke endurance 3-12x50 ir on my .243 - really regret selling it!

many thanks
    simon
    I have a rich friend who has a Hawke Endurance on one of his C/F's & loves it & he could buy any scope available !!

I have a Hawke Sidewinder 6-24x56 on my Hmr - I'm going to change it for my Zeiss Duralyt soon as its sat doing nothing in a box - there's nothing wrong with the Hawke what so ever just can't justify keeping both - if you fancy the Sidewinder drop me PM it's like new.