Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Romance with doubles

Romance with doubles

How much do you think having/wanting a double rifle is to do with the romance of a bygone era of exploration of the dark continent & stories of quatermain that we grew up on, rather than the practicality of having one in a modern hunting situation?
    I still think they are beautiful but are they the most practicle tool for the job?
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

Well they are for driven medium/large game shooting, yes. They offer a very fast second shot, and realistically, you're rarely in a situation where you can loose off more than that, and they handle brilliantly for instinctive shooting. Admittedly, they're not ideal for the way we stalk in the UK though.

My first stalking rifle in 1961 was this Merkel DB O/U in 7X65R calibre with a Zeiss 6X42 scope on top.
    Double rifles are regulated to place both shots together on the target at a specific distance usually 100yds/metres and are not long range sniping weapons.
    Mine was regulated to shoot the 11.2 gramm/173 grain SP bullet at 100 metres to point of aim.
    O/Us are more tolerant as bullet dispersal at greater or less distance is in the vertical plane unlike their Side-by-side counterparts with lateral variation.
    The original bullets for this rifle were Berdan primed which made it more difficult for the handloader but later these were changed to the Boxer primers in universal use today.
    With my own rifle I loaded a 173gr bullet in the bottom barrel and a 130gr reload in the top as I found that when the 173gr was zeroed for 100yd impact the 130gr was impacting at 200/220 yards or so.
    In effect I had two rifles on one stock and could take the choice of barrel according to the range of quarry species.

HWH.
    Last edited by stag1933; 29-05-2013 at 09:04. Reason: Picture added.

Yeah, they are great for that second shot and tracking a moving target...

But getting them regulated to shoot to same POI at varying ranges can be a bugger.

(Was shooting 8x57JRS, 400/450NE, 577NE at the weekend. Hoot to shoot).

Quote Originally Posted by scrumbag View Post
    (Was shooting 8x57JRS, 400/450NE, 577NE at the weekend. Hoot to shoot).

Yes, because there's nothing more dangerous than a wounded marmot.

Should have added that IMHO they require a lot more skill to use effectively than some modern actioned rifles.
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

Quote Originally Posted by Pine Marten View Post
    Yes, because there's nothing more dangerous than a wounded marmot.
    Exactly, and with these, you don't even care if they go back underground, mini earthquake you generate gets 'em!

They're pretty things , personally I'd love one .

I have a slot for a 9.3mm on my Fac for when I can gather the funds to buy one

I'm going to say, no you can keep them! They are lovely things but I want a mag full just so I can work that bolt.... probably end up with a failed ejection and swear a lot after blowing a great hole in a tree. That's my kind of hunting