Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: badger cull query

badger cull query

I don't want to staart a discussion about the badger cull - I'll take it as read that the majority on here are supportive.

However, does anyone know if other European countries currently have active culling programmes?

Not too sure about the rest of Europe but I think in the Scandanavian countries they are a bona fide legal quarry.

Not wishing to hijack your thread....if a shooter is employed on the badger cull does the term Any Other Lawful Quarry on an FAC cover this activity,bearing in mind that the badger is protected under primary legislation under the Wildlife and Countryside Act and no exemption is possible as only Parliament can amend this Act,just a thought on a technical point of law.

Quote Originally Posted by cervus View Post
    Not wishing to hijack your thread....if a shooter is employed on the badger cull does the term Any Other Lawful Quarry on an FAC cover this activity,bearing in mind that the badger is protected under primary legislation under the Wildlife and Countryside Act and no exemption is possible as only Parliament can amend this Act,just a thought on a technical point of law.

If you are employed on the cull your FAC and or SGC will have been amended accordingly by your local constabulary.

ATB

T

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by cervus View Post
    Since you will have a licence from Natural England to shoot said quarry (effectively sidelining POBA and WCA, which are the acts under which you'd be prosecuted), that should make it lawful - but worth checking specifically with your FEO, given the circumstance.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Badgers are legal quarry in France, most are dug to using terriers. Locaters on the terriers are illegal, so its old school all the way. Its not culling in the true sense, but it is active control.

Quote Originally Posted by Bomag View Post
    Badgers are legal quarry in France, most are dug to using terriers. Locaters on the terriers are illegal, so its old school all the way. Its not culling in the true sense, but it is active control.
    Why the ban on locators? Is this because they can cause the terrier to get stuck / give the badger something to get hold of? Can't see how it impacts the badger?As a boy I lost two terriers to badgers when they went down the sets, not sure I would want to send them in on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    I don't want to staart a discussion about the badger cull - I'll take it as read that the majority on here are supportive.

However, does anyone know if other European countries currently have active culling programmes?
    I agree that this is not the place to start a discussion about badger culling but I just wanted to ask if it really is the case that '...the majority on here are supportive'?

I personally have yet to see any evidence, given in laymans terms, to convince me either one way or the other.

Whatever the reasons for or against, I think that it would be very foolish to allow badger culling to be linked in any way with sporting shooting or other forms of wildlife management. It is good science that is required and that should be done by good scientists.

If anyone has a link to show this information that will help people like me to form an opinion then please share it.

Thank, JC

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Since you will have a licence from Natural England to shoot said quarry (effectively sidelining POBA and WCA, which are the acts under which you'd be prosecuted), that should make it lawful - but worth checking specifically with your FEO, given the circumstance.
    As said below, those employed to carry out the cull have already had their FAC's specifically conditioned .

ACPO devised a cunning plan which has been implemented:
    In terms of firearms licensing, a protocol has been devised for the above named forces
    which involves conditions being added to firearms certificates requiring them to comply
    with a Natural England licence which authorises the culling of badgers. There is no
    mention of the culling of badgers in the condition therefore not identifying the certificate
    holders to any third party.

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    If you are employed on the cull your FAC and or SGC will have been amended accordingly by your local constabulary.

ATB

T
    Last edited by CharlieT; 29-05-2013 at 14:50.

Well JC275 it's easy enough to find if you look. Google 'badger cull Ireland' and read the first article, of course there are plenty of smoke screens there as well but that should get you started. Two facts for you to mull. In one of the cull areas in Ireland the culling of badgers resulted in a reduction of TB in dairy cattle by 97% and that no country in the world has managed to control TB in cattle without controlling the wild vectors (not always badgers)