Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Notts police say sorry

Notts police say sorry

Dear All,

Nottinghamshire police have been high on our list of constabularies that have not been performing, and we have kept at them...
    Today, Nottinghamshire Police has apologised to shooters in the East Midlands for long delays in both the grant and renewal of firearm and shotgun applications. In an open letter to BASC, Nottinghamshire Police said the delays were partly due to internal and staffing problems and also due to more rigorous assessments of applications.

Nottinghamshire Constabulary has confirmed it has allocated more resources to firearms licensing and aims to be processing applications within twelve weeks by the end of 2013. It also intends to work closely with BASC to improve service delivery and overall efficiency to shooters in Nottinghamshire.

So far so good, but please if you are in this licencing area let me know if they are not delivering as they should be, I accept it may take a little while for them to get on top of things but they have promised, lets make sure they deliver

Thanks
    David

I do wonder if the PCC regime has altered matters?

Well I questioned all the candidates ...................... so .................... perhaps ........................ laffin my feckin arse off

But a good job by BASC in any event

Quote Originally Posted by Greymaster View Post
    I do wonder if the PCC regime has altered matters?

Yes Notts PCC Paddy Tipping has been involved. PCC's will continue to be involved UK wide by BASC where forces underperform and show no willing to change regardless of dialogue or assurances of change. Nottinghamshire police had 18 months to 2 years to make up the shortfall. Due to a lack of results we elevated the issue.

Police forces must invest resources for all customers, there is no room for elitist views such as front line policing must take priority. We have seen how this can go wrong in Durham for example, the front line was breached not by burglars, drunks in town or yobs stealing cars but by neglectful licensing malpractice. Law abiding citizens with bad experience as a firearms licensing customer are more liklely to turn a blind eye and not help the police if they are neglected through poor staffing whatever the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    I hope I'm right to be confident that FAC/SGC-holders are able to tell the difference between underperforming Firearms Licensing Departments and the actual Police who deal with crimes: and that therefore their good-citizenship with respect to helping the latter uphold the rule of law is unlikely to be impaired by their experience of the former.
    i would hope so but some of the behaviour on this forum alone let alone what we receive daily suggests otherwise. Needless to say the police should always realise the fringe benefits of treating people like a real customer in the same way a high street shop like john lewis treats its customers i.e. exemplary

i.e. exemplary.....as my dealing with Merseyside FLO has been. I cannot praise them enough for their speed of turn around and the reasonable way in which they treat their customers.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by BASC Firearms Dept View Post
    . Needless to say the police should always realise the fringe benefits of treating people like a real customer in the same way a high street shop like john lewis treats its customers i.e. exemplary
    Except for the delay, the service and courtesy I have had from Notts FEO has been exemplary.

And delay was the issue I raised with the candidates and I did get a reply from Paddy amongst others, which I seem to remember I posted here

Scrun

To be fair our relationship with notts staff has always been good but delays never diminished.

Quote Originally Posted by David BASC View Post

aims to be processing applications within twelve weeks by the end of 2013.

David
    David, no criticism of BASC, far from it, well done and keep at them. However ......... 12 weeks is still taking the p!ss.

A shotgun certificate application has no ground to be checked, no "good reason" to be verified, only one counter signatory to contact, a click or two on the mouse for criminal records, an email to the local nick requesting anything known, and a swing by the house to check applicant in person and proposed security. Why does this need more than 2 weeks? Even the "good reason"/land check and second referee for a FAC shouldn't push the time frame beyond 4 weeks.

Chanty,

The "swing by the house" is the bit my FEO always has a problem with.

For some strange reason people tend not to be home during working hours....

​Stan