Notts police say sorry

David63

Dear All,

Nottinghamshire police have been high on our list of constabularies that have not been performing, and we have kept at them...
Today, Nottinghamshire Police has apologised to shooters in the East Midlands for long delays in both the grant and renewal of firearm and shotgun applications. In an open letter to BASC, Nottinghamshire Police said the delays were partly due to internal and staffing problems and also due to more rigorous assessments of applications.

Nottinghamshire Constabulary has confirmed it has allocated more resources to firearms licensing and aims to be processing applications within twelve weeks by the end of 2013. It also intends to work closely with BASC to improve service delivery and overall efficiency to shooters in Nottinghamshire.

So far so good, but please if you are in this licencing area let me know if they are not delivering as they should be, I accept it may take a little while for them to get on top of things but they have promised, lets make sure they deliver

Thanks
David

Well I questioned all the candidates ...................... so .................... perhaps ........................ laffin my feckin arse off

But a good job by BASC in any event

I do wonder if the PCC regime has altered matters?

Yes Notts PCC Paddy Tipping has been involved. PCC's will continue to be involved UK wide by BASC where forces underperform and show no willing to change regardless of dialogue or assurances of change. Nottinghamshire police had 18 months to 2 years to make up the shortfall. Due to a lack of results we elevated the issue.

Police forces must invest resources for all customers, there is no room for elitist views such as front line policing must take priority. We have seen how this can go wrong in Durham for example, the front line was breached not by burglars, drunks in town or yobs stealing cars but by neglectful licensing malpractice. Law abiding citizens with bad experience as a firearms licensing customer are more liklely to turn a blind eye and not help the police if they are neglected through poor staffing whatever the cause.

I hope I'm right to be confident that FAC/SGC-holders are able to tell the difference between underperforming Firearms Licensing Departments and the actual Police who deal with crimes: and that therefore their good-citizenship with respect to helping the latter uphold the rule of law is unlikely to be impaired by their experience of the former.

i would hope so but some of the behaviour on this forum alone let alone what we receive daily suggests otherwise. Needless to say the police should always realise the fringe benefits of treating people like a real customer in the same way a high street shop like john lewis treats its customers i.e. exemplary

i.e. exemplary.....as my dealing with Merseyside FLO has been. I cannot praise them enough for their speed of turn around and the reasonable way in which they treat their customers.

. Needless to say the police should always realise the fringe benefits of treating people like a real customer in the same way a high street shop like john lewis treats its customers i.e. exemplary

Except for the delay, the service and courtesy I have had from Notts FEO has been exemplary.

And delay was the issue I raised with the candidates and I did get a reply from Paddy amongst others, which I seem to remember I posted here

Scrun

aims to be processing applications within twelve weeks by the end of 2013.

David

David, no criticism of BASC, far from it, well done and keep at them. However ......... 12 weeks is still taking the p!ss.

A shotgun certificate application has no ground to be checked, no "good reason" to be verified, only one counter signatory to contact, a click or two on the mouse for criminal records, an email to the local nick requesting anything known, and a swing by the house to check applicant in person and proposed security. Why does this need more than 2 weeks? Even the "good reason"/land check and second referee for a FAC shouldn't push the time frame beyond 4 weeks.

Chanty,

The "swing by the house" is the bit my FEO always has a problem with.

For some strange reason people tend not to be home during working hours....

​Stan

Chanty,

The "swing by the house" is the bit my FEO always has a problem with.

For some strange reason people tend not to be home during working hours....

​Stan

all appointments should be booked but if you as an applicant cant take time and delay the visit then its not a delay on their part, its a difficulty on your side.

I can't understand the Customer reference relating the police servis to a Retail shop ? Fac/Sgs applicants are NOT customers !
A customer if not happy has the choice to shop elsewhere, unlike dealing with the police or local council who call all the public Customers.

I do wonder if the PCC regime has altered matters?

Paddy Tipping reply to my email prior to the election (which he won) re delays and general position re firearms :-

" Thank you for writing to me in such detail about matters relating to firearms.

I have been able during the campaign to discuss the issues with the NFU and shooting organisations.
Indeed the matter was raised at a recent meeting that I organised between representatives of the NFU
and the Shadow Minister for Rural Affairs, Mary Creagh, MP.

I have also worked closely with BASC for many years on firearms legislation and you can be sure that I
will continue to take an interest.

I was aware of the delays that are occurring with the applications and renewal if certificates process
at Nottinghamshire Police. You are right that there is room for improvement.

Thank you for contacting me

Paddy Tipping"

If you want to see my original email to him look at the bottom of this thread for related threads - you can also see the other candidates replies, except the Tory, he didn't

I can't understand the Customer reference relating the police servis to a Retail shop ? Fac/Sgs applicants are NOT customers !
A customer if not happy has the choice to shop elsewhere, unlike dealing with the police or local council who call all the public Customers.

any service you pay for means you are a customer. If you have no criminal or medical impediment against an application then why should you not be a customer. I'd argue that you would be a customer even if you had an inpediment, if not they would keep your application fee fir example. Equally it is wrong to get bad service at any time, especially if your being held up because of applicants who have brought themselves into disrepute or for medical reasons only; are unsuitable at this time.

we as shooters have let the police view us as anything but customers because the majority of us dont want to rock the boat in fear of reprisal. If we are assertive, act as responsible but dissatisfied customers where due and equally act as satisfied customers where due then the police will give better service.

As the police have a manopoly on the ststem it is even more important we dont give up on it all. Basc are working hard on customer service within the police service (yes its called a service) and we are working very closely with ACPO and the home office to get towards much better customer service. Watch this space, new forms, home office guidance and eventually an ecommerce application and payment system will come into being to name a few.

Maybe if the police are having difficulties processing applications they should bring in a third party that can deal with the situation better would be all round better for everyone concerned!!!!

When I was in Notts I had nothing but top service from them but that was 5 years ago(give or take).
My mate who still deals with them has said that recently the service hasn't been the best.
Lets hope that things improve.
Not sure how bringing a 3rd party into it would necessarily be for the best unless they were really on top of the game.You only have to look at the hash that G3S(?) have made of things to see potential pitfalls

When I was in Notts I had nothing but top service from them but that was 5 years ago(give or take).
My mate who still deals with them has said that recently the service hasn't been the best.
Lets hope that things improve.
Not sure how bringing a 3rd party into it would necessarily be for the best unless they were really on top of the game.You only have to look at the hash that G3S(?) have made of things to see potential pitfalls
Yep you've got a good point there only other thing that I can think of is self regulation, we are doing it more often these days so why not for firearm legislation would free up more time for the police to drink more tea and eat more donuts:D

any service you pay for means you are a customer. If you have no criminal or medical impediment against an application then why should you not be a customer. I'd argue that you would be a customer even if you had an inpediment, if not they would keep your application fee fir example. Equally it is wrong to get bad service at any time, especially if your being held up because of applicants who have brought themselves into disrepute or for medical reasons only; are unsuitable at this time.

we as shooters have let the police view us as anything but customers because the majority of us dont want to rock the boat in fear of reprisal. If we are assertive, act as responsible but dissatisfied customers where due and equally act as satisfied customers where due then the police will give better service.

As the police have a manopoly on the ststem it is even more important we dont give up on it all. Basc are working hard on customer service within the police service (yes its called a service) and we are working very closely with ACPO and the home office to get towards much better customer service. Watch this space, new forms, home office guidance and eventually an ecommerce application and payment system will come into being to name a few.

Fair point.
So answer me this WHY has BASC never served a police force with a private prosecution on behalf of a member for police force's failing's by leaving FAC holders without a ticket when they have put in their renewal in the allotted time ? As RSPCA like to do.
BASC member splash

Yep you've got a good point there only other thing that I can think of is self regulation, we are doing it more often these days so why not for firearm legislation would free up more time for the police to drink more tea and eat more donuts:D

:drool: Donuts

Back